Monday, May 21, 2007

Lost in Translation? We’ll take that chance!

Thanks to AltaVista’s amazing Bable Fish translation service, our blog pages can be translated to almost any other major language (sorry minor languages, talk to AltaVista). Simply click on the flag of the country you wish and “Voila!” (that’s French) every word on the page is in your language of choice. Now, you do have to know what the flag of your native country looks like. Also, since I don’t speak another language (except for cursing), I have no idea how accurate this translation is. I would hate for my subtle humor and brilliant observations to somehow be lost in translation. As you know, I spend a lot of time editing so that the grammar, punctuation and capitalization are really well wrote. I would hate for the translating software to not do this as good as I have did. Oh well, I’ll just have to that chance.

In the sidebar, on every page on the site, you will see the widget pictured below. Just click on a flag, and it will open the translated page in a new window!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you say, "what's for dinner tonight?" (in the universal language of I'm at a loss for an idea and don't know what I'm doing?)

In additon to this handy international tip, lease post a recipe today. I need to shop for the ingredients, so post up ASAP!

Thanks again for all you do!

Chef John said...

I'll post ASAP, but hey, that's what all those achives are for. Have you cooked every recipe? If so, you should get some sort of prize!

Steffen P said...

So americans isn't teached other languages in school?

Here in Denmark we are teached both english, german and of course danish.

Chef John said...

No, it's usually optional, althought most students either take some french or spanish. We are lucky they are taugh English!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Spanish is my native language, but I write in both, English and Spanish. I thought that could be a great add-on to my blogs, but the translation was just horrible. I must admit that it was fun trying to read through it. It's a good start, though. Hopefully we'll see more of this tools on the web soon.

Chef John said...

I guess its better than "nada" ; )