Monday, June 18, 2007

Happy Birthday Mom!

It's my mother Pauline's birthday today. I was torn as to whether I was going to ship an expensive gift to her, or instead post a free birthday wish here on the blog using someone else's happy birthday song I found on YouTube. I think I made the right call. Hey, at least it's not one of those e-cards! Ironically, she is having an eye procedure done today and probably won't be able to see the post. Hopefully, someone will read it to her.

These days people just don't bake each other birthday cakes. All the grocery stores sell good quality, fine looking cakes, and for a few extra dollars, will slap some ones name on top. Well, not Pauline. When it's someone’s birthday, no matter how tired she is, she gets out the bowls and mixer and whip up a homemade cake. That's why I posted the second cake photo. Growing up, when it was either mine or my sister Valerie's birthday, my mom always baked us a homemade cake complete with personalized frosting. But, I'm sure there were times when, after a long, hard day at work, later in the evening, the last thing she wanted to do was make a birthday cake. So, there must have been a few times over the years when, piping bag of frosting in hand, she really wanted to express the sentiment illustrated on the second cake.

Anyway, enjoy the musical tribute; it took me a lot of effort to find! I'll see you in a few weeks.