Friday, September 7, 2007

Rabbit "Two Ways" - Stewed Legs and Seared Loins

This ancient video footage (shot with the good old web cam) was original posted on my first blog LRN2cook.com. If you actually remember that website and/or this clip, you should win some sort of viewer loyalty award! I said should, so don’t get too excited. Anyway, while this clip doesn’t look that good, and my new voice-over is sketchy at best, it’s still a very nice recipe. If you’ve always wanted to try rabbit, this is the way to go.

Unless you are use to cutting up small animals, please have the butcher trim this rabbit into the individual pieces. Most rabbits are sold whole or by the half, like chicken. But, any meat shop that sells rabbit will have a butcher that will separate the legs and loin for you. As you’ll sorta see and somewhat hear in the video recipe, the key to this dish is the long stewed legs and the quick seared loins. Enjoy!


powered by ifood.tv

1 rabbit, dressed (2 1/4 pound)
1 onion
1 celery rib
1/2 cup chopped San Marzano (or any canned plum) tomato
4 cloves garlic, sliced
salt and pepper
olive oil
4 tbl balsamic vinegar reduce by half
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup chicken stock or broth
1 tsp fennel seed
fresh parsley, chopped

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny, I was wondering if you ever cooked rabbit. I saw it on a menu recently but didn't order it. That looks good though.

Anonymous said...

I luv rabbit, but I can only get it eating out. They never have it at the stores I shop.

dan said...

I'd love to know how you prepare the carrots. perhaps you could do a demo or two the the side-dish-challenged?

Chef John said...

since they were so small they were simply put raw with a little salt and butter in a small saute pan and cooked uncovered for about 15 minutes on low until tender/crisp. Very easy.

Anonymous said...

i checked your old site,and there is a recipe for Mac and Cheese! i like mac and cheese could you post it?

Chef John said...

yes, but I need to redo the sounds on that as well. The lighting in that one was really bad so I wanted to redo the whole thing with the new equipment. Just to busy this week. But you'll see it soon, Thanks.

Julie said...

My father would love this one Chef John. Rabbit is one of his favorites, as a matter of fact my grandmother just treated him with a rabbit dinner a couple of days ago.

Anonymous said...

thank you very much for taking time in your busy week for me! :)

Unknown said...

love the recipe. is there any way i could use a pressure cooker for this one to cut the cooking time? what is your general opinion towards pressure cookers. thanks!

Chef John said...

sorry, ive never used one. you'll have to google that one.

Anonymous said...

Hello , my husband loves rabbits dishes...thanks for this wonderful recipe.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chef John, this video doesn't seem to work any chance you could give it a look?
Thanks :)

Chef John said...

try again. it's a lost file, so I only have this jacked-up version

Anonymous said...

Great! Thanks very much!

Very artistic, you even used a brush for it :)

That sorts out my next market shopping - going to have some rabbit!

Clementine said...

The video doesn't seem to load from your blog on my browser, but if you go to this link....

http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/rabbit_2_ways

There doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

IMR blog said...

Oh no the video is no longer there!