Thursday, July 17, 2008

Braswell's Tart Cherry Cabernet Sauce - A Recipe this Delicious Should Really Be Much Harder

This cherry sauce recipe tastes like it requires many steps, and a fair amount of time and finesse. As you'll see, this is not the case. This may be the simplest wine sauce recipe there is. A decent red wine, a jar of tart cherry preserves, and in about ten minutes you have a truly delicious sauce. I used it on duck confit, but it would be perfect for turkey, chicken, game hens, pheasant, venison, and ham.

This video recipe was inspired by a sample of Braswell's Select Tart Cherry Preserves I received. I'm not a big jam-on-toast guy, but I LOVE to cook with fruit preserves, especially in sauces. This tart cherry preserves has a bit of sherry wine in it, and a very intense cherry flavor. I liked it so much, I've linked to their website in case you would like to check them out. I also tried their fig preserves, and a very interesting balsamic onion jam. I'm not sure if these new flavors are available on the site yet, but you can contact them for more info. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
3/4 cup tart cherry preserves
3/4 cup cabernet wine
pinch of salt
1 clove garlic
4 springs thyme
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is one sexy sauce. I love the color (and duck too)

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious, one question (since im not american)

Is it Cherry jam or gelé? since we dont have that brand over here, and the Cabernet is red whine right?`

Wanna try this on some roasted chicken :)

Anonymous said...

the chicken breast looks like filled baguette or something...only at the beginning of the video ^^ great sauce

Chef John said...

it's a jam, but a gele could work. Yes, its a cab. Enjoy!

Chef John said...

it's a duck leg, but thanks!

Anonymous said...

This sounds great on turkey cutletes.

Anonymous said...

Wouldnt get those nice pieces of cherry with gelé now would we :) We are making some homemade cherry jam so gonna try that one !

Anonymous said...

Is Cabernet short for Cabernet Sauvignon, or is that a different wine?

Chef John said...

yes, same thing. Almost any red wine will work though.

Anonymous said...

Alas, no tart cherry preserves on the Braswell website... how long have you been hoarding that lovely little jar of jam?

Chef John said...

Yes, I saw that. I mentioned in the clip that I wasn't sure about the availability yet. You can use any cherry preserves and it will be delicious. I will be speaking with them soon, so I will post an update!

Anonymous said...

Cooked this last night and ended up probably being one of the best sauces I have ever made. So easy. I actually added in a bit more garlic and used the thyme from my herb garden. SO GOOD. I served it over Pork Chops.

Trying to think what else this sauce would be good on other than duck and pork. Any other ideas?

Chef John said...

Try it on venison, ham, sausage, duck, gamehens, quail, pheasant, bison, and smoked turkey.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing sir.... I am a veteran of cooking, but you sir, are amazingly funny and extremly well talented. Keep posting! Any posibility of doing a Bread video? or perhaps a lobster cream sause? or a bernaiuse sauce? (spelling)

Or you know, a RIB recipie!

also some very easy recipies would be nice, for home, im a college student so i often dont have alot of cooking things. :-p

Well sincerly,

Justin

Chef John said...

thanks! check the bread category, theres a few there.

Anonymous said...

Chef John,

I'm curious why this sauce in particular is left without a finish of butter. Is there a reason for its omission?

Matt

Chef John said...

duck is very rich and fatty and i didn't think it needed it.

Jimbo said...

Chef John,
Thanks for the great site and I want to share a funny story. I cooked your duck both ways last night, which turned out great, except for one thing. I could only find Tamarind chutney (on Good Friday) to substitute the cherry in the cabernet sauce, which turned out great too, until I strained it right into the sink and down the plughole! (I really shouldn't drink when I cook) :)

Randy Frid said...

Excellent.

Thanks for your advice. Your site has created many a great meal.

With this particular recipe I wound up substituting some leftover cranberry sauce from xmas instead of the cherry, and drizzled it over sliced top-sirloin - absolutely fantastic.

Cheers, Randy

Anonymous said...

The video is ruined :(