Wednesday, January 21, 2009

He Tells of Michele's Seashells with Sicilian Sausage by the Sea Shore

I just had to post this picture of a pasta Michele made for her sick chef a couple nights ago. I get emails once in a while asking if and what Michele cooks and why don’t I film her.

She does cook - when she can get in the kitchen, which I'm usually occupying. I would film her, but her rates are very high and we haven't been able to agree on a price.


It's a super simple recipe, which goes as follows; sauté sausage meat until brown, add some garlic and sauté in the fat for a couple minutes. Throw in a bunch of broccoli rabe, some pepper flakes, and enough chicken stock to cover.

Simmer until the broccoli rabe is tender. Boil shells and add to the sauce with a splash of good olive oil and a handful of real Pecorino Romano cheese. Yes, I will be filming this someday.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never had "broiled" shells! The rest sounds pretty pretty good, pretty pretty good.

Chef John said...

You couldn't just tell me there was a typo could you?

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! This looks really really good! Got to try it!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I make almost this same pasta and add about 1 cup of chickpeas boiled in water with garlic and bay leaf until tender then instead of the chicken stock I use the chick pea stock. I serve it with orecchiette pasta...it's delicious.

Aristolochia said...

you lucky man :) i'm happy for you!

Cat said...

No broccoli rabe here in the Caribbean I'm so sorry to say. I really miss it!

Anonymous said...

not that it's all that difficult, but is it "someday" yet?

Nepenthe said...

Chef John, are you back from your vacation? I plan on making this tonight and I have a question - do I have to do anything special to the broccoli rabe? I've never had it before and don't know how to prepare it.

Chef John said...

no, just trim it.

Nepenthe said...

Can you be more specific? Do I cut the leaves off? Do I cut the stems off? I'm trying to gauge by the pictures you posted, but it's not clear.

I know, I know, you're busy! I hope you had a great holiday.

Chef John said...

No use everything, except any roots. Just cut in pieces and cook! It's just greens. Anyway you do it will be fine.

Unknown said...

This is pretty much my version except I add a drained can of cannellini beans.