Friday, March 27, 2009

Grilled "Condiment" Chicken with Asian Noodle Salad

I have one more day down here in sunny Arizona, and then it'll be back to cool, breezy San Francisco. I can't wait to see my wife, my kitchen, and my equipment (definitely in that order).

This video for "Condiment Chicken" was named in honor of the few basic, but crucial ingredients I found at the ballpark, which made all the difference with this simple grilled recipe.

One of the best cooking-on-the-road-with-no-stuff tricks ever, is the salad dressing triple play. It's our marinade, noodle salad dressing, and chicken glaze. Spiked with some pilfered hot pepper, ketchup and mustard it was more than delicious.

Anyway, no time for a long, thoughtful post. It's late, and I have to shut it down for tonight - we are leaving early for a game in Scottsdale, then driving north to Flagstaff (any dinner recommendations are welcomed), then it's on the train for an overnight ride to LA, then on to San Francisco, arriving Saturday night.

Since I filmed two recipes, I don't feel too guilty, but I haven’t really been taking many pictures. I will post those I did take when I get back - the train station in LA is really beautiful and I got a few great shots. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
10 chicken thighs
1 bottle Asian sesame salad dressing
2 packets ketchup
2 packets mustard
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic
1package mung bean cellophane noodles
1 bag shredded carrots
1 bag angel hair shredded cabbage
1/2 cup crushed nut mix (almond, cashew, peanut)
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

You genius, you.

Chris K. said...

Dinner suggestion: Brix Restaurant & Wine Bar. There's also a ton of Chinese joints in Flagstaff - lots of immigrant railroad laborers settled there in the 19th century.

Anonymous said...

hi john im from australia only turned 18 about 2 months ago i suffer from depression anyway ure cooking has helpd me get beter in ways it gives me an outlet for stress so i would just like to say thank you also how would this go with chicken breasts thankyou- peter

Anonymous said...

http://www.flagstaff.com/category.php/swmc/restaurants

have fun in flagstaff! beautiful city!
Just ignore the last 3 "featured listings" are just owners that payed to be there...

-SaberJ2X

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious and not a big deal to prepare. It is grill time in Jersey, temperature is getting into mid forties. At my house I am the grill master so I will definitely make this.

Wanted to let you know how the Irish lamb stew I made using my left over corned beef broth. Excellent. The flavor of the lamb took over and I topped it off with Bisquick dumplings.

Bye the way, safe trip back home.

Chef John said...

thanks, and thanks for the Flagstaff tips

david said...

Don't miss the Beaver Street Brewer in Flagstaff.

Anonymous said...

Chef,

I think one point in the 'traditional' recipe routine is left out in your recipes - the part which tells how many servings the recipe will make. This info will allow people to scale their recipes if possible and needed.

I mean how many households will have a capacity to polish off a chicken noodle salad with 10 chicken thighs in it...? unless you want to be so gross as to eat the same stuff day in and day out for over a week...

Just a suggestion.

Chef John said...

I would if I knew how hungry people were. ;-) If you see 10 thighs then its five 2 each portions or 10 single etc. And for something like the salad I have no exact number since I'm not going to start measuring portions this late in life. I would just be guessing like "serves between 4 and 8 which doesn't do much good. I get lots of requests for scaling, calories, fat, portions, etc. I'm a busy man - I cook, film and post, and rely on you all to do the rest.

Unknown said...

I love mung bean noodles, and have heard them called cellophane, or glass noodles too. Thanks for the scoring the thigh to the bone trick. Now I won't have to wait as long for bland meat, because the marinade will penetrate better, and the meat cook faster, thanks!

Seduction Meals said...

Looks delicious and easy - a good combo!

dsowerg said...

We call those mung bean noodles "tang hoon" in Singapore. I saw that the packet was labelled "maifun", which means "rice noodles" in Cantonese. That actually refers to rice vermicelli which is made of, of course, rice flour. Maifun or "bee hoon" as it is called here is white when cooked. So are the noodles transparent or white? :)

Chef John said...

that's so weird, my stage name when I was an exotic dancer was "Tang Hoon"

Anonymous said...

Chef John,


I would love to see more recipes with cellophane noodles. The Tara Thai made this dish called PAD WOON SEN it has Cellophane noodles stir-fried with shrimp, pork, hu-nu mushrooms, scallions and egg in it. It's so so so so good.

Mike said...

Hey Chef,

I've been watching your videos for a long time now, and am loving everything you make. I'm going to culinary school soon and just wanted to know if you'd recommend any other Asian noodle other than mung bean.

Thanks.

Chef John said...

sure, use rice noodles

Mike said...

I did manage to find some rice noodles and this turned out SO GOOD! I had some trouble mixing the cabbage and carrots into the noodles since they didn't feel like coming apart, but hey, it all worked out and I loved this dish so much!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chief john,

could you please show us how to make crispy fired noddles without having to pan fry them.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

At first I thought the noodles were pancit (commonly cooked philippine noodles) from the picture. We put chicken, cabbage, carrots on noodles but no peanuts it's really good :) We cook the noodle from the chicken's stock and add fish sauce and soy sauce and pepper. When cooked we also sprinkle calamondin. And we usually eat this with bbq or eat alone:D