Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Spinach and Feta Pie Fit for a Diva

This simple pan of food was supposed to be called a "Spinach and Feta Oven-Baked Omelet" in the cookbook – but after making, eating, and starring at photos of it for a couple hours, I decided it shall now be known simply as Spinach and Feta Pie.

Besides, if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times…if it's shaped like a triangle and you can eat it, it's pie (reminder: all comments are moderated).

When I hear, "omelet," I think eggs, but while there are a dozen of those here, it's just not the star of the show. That would be the spinach, and lots of it. I put a whole pound of fresh spinach in this, and when it was done baking, the eggs had gone from headlining diva to backup singer. And not even the hot backup singer they always put in the first row of the chorus – that was the feta cheese.

This spinach and feta pie may remind you of spanakopita, that delicious Greek phyllo-wrapped pastry which is stuffed with a very similar filling. In fact, as delicious as this was, part of me wished I were also biting into those crisp, buttery, flakes.

At the beginning of the video, you'll see I already have the spinach cooked. I was positive I had done an old video for creamed spinach in which I showed the simple technique I used to wilt the greens. Do any of you old timers remember that clip? I was going to link to it to show you, but it's nowhere to be found.

Anyway, simply put a large stockpot over high heat, toss in a chunk of butter (let your conscience be your guide), throw in the spinach, cover, and wait one minute. Uncover and toss with a wooden spoon until it's just barely wilted, then drain as you see in the video.

This spinach and feta pie makes a nice breakfast, of course, but could also be served as a side dish sitting next to some braised lamb. Hey, that sounds pretty good. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
1 pound spinach
1 tablespoons butter to wilt spinach in
6 slices bacon
1/2 onion, diced
12 eggs
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
pinch of cayenne
3 oz feta

36 comments:

soph30 said...

mmm that looks great! Any other cheeses you think would go well in a spinach omelette like that?

Scott - Boston said...

FIRST!
(juuust being obnoxious).

Anyway, no you have not posted a creamed spinach recipe/technique. My cardiologist wants an explanation. Me and the Mrs. have dreamed that you'd someday post one, though.

(Incidentally, I finally bought a pork shoulder to go along with my SFQ. So somewhere in the world there is a one shouldered pig. Creepy. I'll report back).

Scott - Boston

Anonymous said...

I knew I could count on you! Let it be known that Chef John does not cower from a Double Dog Dare. This is a great recipe and just healthy enough...full of spinach!
Thank ya, I will definitely make this.

Anonymous said...

I hope you ate that saturated paper towel full of bacon fat after you shot this.

Basia said...

Happy Pie Day! (Pi day isn't until March 14, obvs!)

But, I have a question. This looks amazingly yummy, but suspiciously like a frittata, no?

Off to make breakfast pie!

Anonymous said...

This is a perfect protein dish-thanks and I can't wait to try it. Love all your recipes.

ydcc said...

Awww you made this just for me? Mr. Food Wishes you shouldn't have!!! Stop by my blogette kitchen sometimes, we need more testosterone!

Chef John said...

frittata? yes, u can call it that, it just semantics really.

Chef John said...

Scott, actually you were 2nd, but hey, we don't keep you around here for your math skills ;-) Enjoy the SFQ!

Chef John said...

soph, any cheese ever made will work, whatever u like.

Anonymous said...

Would it make any difference if I use 6 eggs instead of 12?

-Dayana-

Healthy and Homemade said...

You make everything seem so easy, I've never liked Spanikopita but it seems like I'd really like this. Mainly because spinach is good with butter, and eggs and bacon are heavenly. I might give this a shot! =)

ghanima said...

This looks fantastic! I'm always happy to add dishes to my brunch repertoire, and this looks like the perfect next-candidate. Thanks!

Chef John said...

with 6 eggs it would only be half as eggy. wouldnt be the same, imo

Anonymous said...

I see that you're familiar with the symbolism that D H Lawrence used.

Unknown said...

Hi Chef John! You just watered my mouth with that pie video. Unfortunately i can't eat spinach. What would you recommend as a replacement?

Chef John said...

chard, arugula, but those have a much stronger flavor

teenagemeal said...

Mmmm give me that on I got so hungry from these pictures

Henry said...

This seems like it would be impossible to get out of the pan. Got any tricks?

DesrAw said...

I made this today. It was really really good, and it fills up your stomach pretty fast!

Jack Parker said...

This was so quick and easy! Being single I just cut the recipe in half, used my smaller cookware, and invited a neighbor over for lunch. They were very impressed... and hungry! I'm not a feta fan so I substituted asiago cheese and it turned out great.

There's so much here I want to try that I'm tempted to take a day off work and cook all day. My boss wouldn't be happy but my neighbors would!

Stefany said...

I'm a college student and I love trying out your recipes all the time! They are so convenient and just so easy to make. All your dishes have become my favorites, I've never been disappointed by a single recipe, thanks for making my hectic college life easier and tastier!!!

Chef John said...

i had no problem getting the slice out without sticking

Rita said...

this looks so good! i am, definitely, making it this weekend.

by the way, ever since i found out about your dinner roll from food.about.com (i think, a year or two ago) - my husband loves it! we don't buy dinner rolls, anymore. sometimes, i even add rosemary (or other herbs) in it. i'm making it again, tonite!

Lilian said...

Hi, the recipe sounds great. I'm thinking of making this for my vegetarian friend. Will it taste just as good without the bacon? If i omit the bacon can I add more cheese on top or what other substituitions are there?

Chef John said...

there is NO sub for bacon, but you can try some very well browned shiitake mushrooms.

cookinmom said...

OK, so we don't have bacon like most people at the moment and it's clear that there is NO sub, but I do have sausage and ham. Should I go for it??

Chef John said...

Sure!

cookinmom said...

Yup!! It was excellent!! Used sausage. Fresh spinach and onion from the garden. Can't say fresh eggs as no chickens. :0) TKS

cookinmom said...

Hey yo!! I believe the feta is missing from you ingredient list!! :0)

Chef John said...

It's actually the last ing! But thanks! Its hidden by pin button!

KatieC said...

Hi, Chef John.

Yellow onion or white onion for this recipe? Does it matter, and if so, why?

Chef John said...

doesn't matter! Enjoy!

Billy said...

And 5 is way out!

Unknown said...

Would any/all of these be worthy additions?
- cumin
- nutmeg
- finely diced red pepper

Tom_MacIver said...

i don't have a broiler I can use for this one, Chef John? Any oven alternatives you recommend?