Thursday, August 26, 2010

Seattle, Here I Come!

I'm heading up to the Pacific Northwest today to attend the 2010 International Food Blogger Conference. The event brings together leading food bloggers for a conference focusing on the fusion of food, writing, and technology (and possibly drinking). This will be my first trip to Seattle, but I love strong coffee, rainy weather, and grungy rock, so this should be a great weekend! Let's see, did I hit all the Seattle stereotypes?

Of all America's regional cuisines, the Pacific Northwest is probably the area I know the least about. So, in addition to taking in all the seminars and presentations, I will be doing my best to taste and experience as many of the local specialties as possible. If you want to follow along, I'll be providing bite-by-bite coverage on Twitter. Otherwise, check back here for updates from the event, as well as recipes and photos I collect along the way. Stay tuned!

12 comments:

AFB said...

Hey Chef John!
As an official Seattle transplant, I hope you get to love this city over these next few days as much as I've come to love it over the last 4 years. Enjoy!

PS: Let me know if you want to go get a beer sometime while you're here ;)

AFB said...

Also, you couldn't have come at a better time, weather wise. It's been gorgeous the last few weeks

Anonymous said...

I am confident you will fall in love with the great Pacific Northwest. I was born there, and lived in the region for much of my childhood. I think you will find it a nice combination of two of your heart places; SF and Upstate NY.

Khad said...

i looked through your pasta recipes and saw theres no shrimp pasta recipes!

"Guppy" Honaker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chef John said...

"Guppy" Honaker left this comment...

I hope you have a fun (and safe) trip to the Pacific NW. As to your blog below about chicken stock. I live by chicken stock - most everything I make has some in it. (Albeit not homemade usually! Though, I do have my own chickens for eggs.) Believe me, you cannot write too much about it.

- David, I can't publish your comments if you include the Aloe Vera links. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

welcome to Seattle. I live here for the current weather - 68 and cloudy.

I'll be interested to see what you decide is typical of PNW fare, because I'm too sure ... seafood, local harvest/sustainability, asian/thai, wine, and still some microbreweries.

You may not have to look too hard to find geoducks, the farm on the video you linked is in puget sound.

I'm told its a smaller more verdant version of San Francisco.

Looking forward to seeing what you have to say.

sequimteeth said...

If you have a chance - visit the Olympic Peninsula. From Port Townsend to Sequim to Port Angeles to Forks you will have a great exerience...and the food is great.

Anonymous said...

Not sure how its looking down there in Washington but up here in BC we're in the middle of one of the biggest sockeye runs in years. If you get the chance, be sure to take advantage of one of the best commodities the Pacific NW has to offer.

Rita said...

have a fantastic time! seattle is one of our favorite cities in the US.

Wendy B. said...

Hi Chef John,
Hope you're having a fantastic time in the PNW. I'm in Victoria, just minutes away from Seattle (okay, an hour by seaplane) and am thrilled to be living here and having access to the bounty of seafood and local fare around here. You should come up and visit!
Have fun and eat lots of salmon! The sockeye run is record-breaking this year!
Cheers,
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Just saw you're getting home tweet.

Glad you liked Seattle - locals don't jaywalk 'cuz it's a good way to get a ticket. That is one ordinance that is enforced with some regularity.