Thursday, September 16, 2010

Hello from Des Moines!

I'm in Des Moines for Niman Ranch’s 12th Annual Farmer Appreciation Dinner. I will regale you with tales of hog farming and pork eating after my return on Sunday. Here you can see the view from my hotel room of historic and scenic…well, I'm not sure what street that is yet, but for the sake of this post, let's just assume it's historic and scenic.

Stay tuned for more from Iowa, as well as a brand new (sort of) video recipe post tomorrow. Also, if you are wondering if I'm going to try and cook pork in my hotel room, what do you think? ;-)

9 comments:

Melissa said...

I hope you have pork fun! Try the iron or the hair dryer!

Anonymous said...

Careful now, you know pork can't be safely eaten if it's under cooked.

Chef John said...

Not true! I cook my pork to medium and no problems.

Chris said...

I work at the Marriott in Des Moines, and if that's where you are I officially okay any hotel room pork cooking as long as you don't damage anything, and I get to try it!

Anonymous said...

Chef,
You really have to go to "Kelly's Little Nipper" it is an old run down hole in the wall right off of grand avenue in DesMoines, but it has won many many awards for its Pork Tenderloin sandwich as well as hot sausage sandwich some people call the guinea grinder! AWESOME (No I don't know the owners) Just very good food!

Karen of Pinoy Recipe said...

"let's just assume it's historic and scenic..." lol this cracked me up, good luck with the pork :)

Anonymous said...

The "Truism" on pork therefore is: medium is greater than what would be termed dangerous, due to being undercooked, so therefore, undercooked pork is something less than medium.

Chef John said...

what's true is undercooked pork is not dangerous. I had rare pork skirt steak in Aspen, no problem. There hasnt been a case of someone being ill from rare pork in a hundred years.

Food Junkie said...

I hate to disagree with chef John but while pork is indeed much safer than it used to be, the trichnosis parasite is still found regularly. Most human infections these days likely come from game. While I have no particular worries if my pork turns out rare every now and then; I think the statement "There hasn't been a case of someone being ill from rare pork in a hundred years" is probably not accurate.