Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Touching Video on Chicken Doneness

Although I’ve had many requests for it, I’ve not done a video on how to tell the doneness of steaks using the old “press test.” It does work once you get a feel for different cuts of meat and thicknesses, but these variables make it trickier than some chefs would have you believe.

However, when it comes to chicken breasts, it can be a reliable guide, especially when you don’t have an instant read thermometer handy. Hey, it’s a long way from the backyard grill to the kitchen drawer when you’re lugging around a full beer.

Anyway, my new YouTube buddy, Ariyele Ressler, just did a fun video on the subject, and since we're right in the middle of grilling season, I thought I’d share. Life is just way too short for dry chicken breasts, so check it out. Enjoy!

5 comments:

fgmerchant said...

I see this tip all the time, but no one ever says how hard I am supposed to make the fist! If I make a really strong fist then it's real firm, if I make a weak fist, then it's too soft. How hard should it be!?

Chef John said...

Your hand should be tensed, not relaxed. Once you make the fist and squeeze the muscle tenses and that's it.

Unknown said...

Hey, I know this is an unrelated topic, but I just have to ask, can you make any Game of Thrones related food? Even something simple would be nice. :)

Chef John said...

Sorry, Food Junkie, I accidentally deleted your comment!

Here it is...

"That's a, um "handy" tip, thanks Chef John and Ariyele. I will admit to being more comfortable with my trusty instant read thermometer."

I agree, but it's nice to know in case you find yourself sans thermometer. (like at a relatives house) ;)

Roberto said...

This video reminds me of why I only watch yours; you're all about the cooking. Four minutes of acting class for this simple tip was a poor investment of my time especially since there are better "hand" methods. Relax your hand and press halfway between your index finger knuckle and thumb joint for rare steak. Touch the tip of your pinkie finger with your thumb and press in the same place for medium/well done steak or properly cooked chicken breast. Touch your thumb to the tip of your middle finger for medium/rare steak. And boys.... don't make a fist by tucking your thumb in.