Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Warm Goat Cheese & Peach Tartine – Open Face, Insert Summer

I usually don’t mention the time of year during these videos, since I have no way of knowing when someone will actually view them, but when it came to this goat cheese and peach tartine, I couldn’t help myself. For me, this is summer on a slice of bread. My apologies to those of you reading/watching this in February.

August is national goat cheese month (no, I don’t know who decides these things), and what better way to enjoy chèvre than by topping it with sweet, ripe, impossibly juicy peach slices? Mix in a little thyme and black pepper to keep things interesting, and you’re looking at a very special treat. Just make sure to use stale bread.

As I bemoaned in the clip, I used a fresh loaf, which while perfectly delicious, wasn’t perfect. Staler bread would have produced a crunchier stage for our co-stars, as there’s more then enough moisture provided by the cheese and fruit.

By the way, if you don’t have any day-old bread, but still want to enjoy this post haste, simply toss the toasted, olive-oiled slices into a 350 F. oven for a few minutes, to dry out and crisp up before you top with the cheese. Either way, you're in for a significantly tasty summer treat. I hope you give this a try soon (while it’s still summer!). Enjoy!


Ingredients for each Warm Goat Cheese & Peach Tartine:
1 thick slice French bread, sourdough or not
1 tbsp olive oil, or as needed
2 oz fresh goat cheese
3 slices fresh peach
fresh thyme leaves and freshly ground black pepper to taste
salt to taste

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had plenty of 'goat' cheese. Ahem, we Italians call it Romano Cheese.

But this one is simple and looks delicious. Gotta try it.

Anonymous said...

Excellent "home run," CJ. You nailed it.

dcheng said...

Chef John, have you been to Harley Farms in Pescadero for goat cheese? It's incredible.

Bohista said...

I've put these ingredients on my grocery list! Chef John has the power to sway...even about GOAT CHEESE!! We shall see if these sandwiches impress my family and friends! ~ j

Unknown said...

Chef, I have some feta left over from spanakopita, would that work?

Chef John said...

That's a much different cheese. Only one way to find out. ;)

cdcphoenix said...

I am drooling. Tomorrow, a trip to the fruit stand.
If you haven't tried it, Harley Farms in Pescadero has incredible, and award winning, goat cheese. Seriously, it's the best I've had. And really cute happy goats.
Thanks for this great recipe, Chef. And yes, I do have thyme...
Claudine

Roberto said...

Truthspew: I think you'll find that "Romano Cheese" in America is made from sheep milk. Here in Italy, "Romano" simply refers to the area around Rome. Pecorino Romano is a well known cheese from sheep (pecora)milk.

CAROLYN said...

Did this, this evening! So good, the sweetness of the peach melts into the goat cheese, so good! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Maybe pan frying the slices first if all you have is a fresh loaf of bread?

AKirkland said...

"watching in February." - or at the moment, on the other half of the planet ;P

Chef John said...

Yes! Pan frying in olive oil would work beautifully.

dz.m.ziv said...

AMAZING! I made one with a peach exactly like the recipe, and another one with a pear. It was a really great lunch :)

PhillyBear said...

"feel free to substitute with 'order a pizza'". You crack me up!!

Dustin said...

John, your olive oil looks a little weak in the video. My family grows some AMAZING olive oil from up near Willows. Can I send you a bottle?

Unknown said...

I really appreciate the videos, techniques, and recipes. They have made me a better cook. Thanks Chef!

Chef John said...

Thanks, but I have tons of olive oils, just didn't want a strong one with the peach. Thanks anyway!!

Chef John said...

Never been to Harley Farms in Pescadero! Sounds like I should!

Unknown said...

What camera you use chef John!

Unknown said...

Chef John what camera are you using? Beautiful shots!!

Anonymous said...

Not sure if all toasters can do this, but give it a try. If you have bread that is too small to pop up out of the toaster on its own, take the handle and pull it up. It should lift the bread up a bit so you can grab it without burning your fingers. Thanks Chef John for another great recipe.

Roberto said...

I don't have a toaster so I started this recipe by browning the bread on a screaming hot grill pan. Both my wife and I found the end result better than we imagined and we're saving this recipe. It would make a great light lunch along with a bowl of cold zucchini soup.

Anonymous said...

This was awesome. I made a gluten free version of it (as I have celiac) here www.kaledcsa.wordpress.com...also making with Boursin as my husband claims to not like goat cheese.
But did this make me miss good bread :(
Still-what an awesome idea to combine these flavours thanks!