Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Baba Ghanoush – The Day After Dip

No matter what you’re grilling this summer, chances are good you’re going to have more hot coals than food to cook on it, which makes baba ghanoush the perfect post-barbecue recipe. Instead of those glowing embers going gently into the sweet night, why not grill up some eggplant, and make one of the world’s best vegetable dips?

You can cook the eggplant any way you want, but charcoal is my favorite. Next best would be cooked over a gas burner, but that can really mess up your stove, so I guess the real next best is baked at 400 F. until they collapse, and get very soft.

As you can see in the clip, this is not a very complicated recipe. As long as this is seasoned thoughtfully, you should be enjoying a wonderfully savory, yet refreshing dip. Just be sure to pay attention to the salt. Eggplant, like almost every vegetable, needs a good amount of salt to bring out the flavor.

The difference between a terrible dip, and a stellar spread can be as little as a half teaspoon of salt. Wait for the mixture to cool completely in the fridge, taste it ice-cold, and adjust with more salt, as needed. Same goes for the lemon, cayenne, and the tahini.

If you grill these after a cookout, but have had too much fun, and don’t feel like doing any more work, you can peel them the next day, and this will work out the same. I hope you give this delicious baba ghanoush a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for about 6 cups Baba Ghanoush:
3 or 4 large Italian eggplant
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
juice from 1 or 2 lemons, or to taste
3 tbsp tahini, or to taste
pinch of cayenne
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
1 minced fresh mint leaf, optional
2 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
pita chips and vegetables for dipping

25 comments:

Unknown said...

I love baba ganoush but I only have ever had it from one place so I am a baba ganoush noob. I'll have to try this.

Does the yogurt make it kind of tangy? The one place I know of that has it here, there's is very rich and garlicy, but kind of tangy like just a little bit of sour in it that I love.

Steven said...

From what I've read, eggplants don't really have a gender, but you're point about the indentation still stands.

Unknown said...

One morning, while roasting the eggplants in our wood fire oven at our restaurant, we forgot to slash the eggplants. The explosion from the first eggplant that burst sounded like a bomb. Another explosion and some quick jabbing to calm the rest made for quite the exciting Sunday brunch. They really do explode if you forget to poke them.

Unknown said...

Hey chef, just wanted to clarify if you used plain tahini or tahini sauce in this recipe. In the video you say tahini sauce, but the ingredients list it just says tahini. Not trying to be annoying, just curious.

Chef John said...

yes, it was plain tahini.

Food Junkie said...

Chef John can you make this without eggplant? Sorry - someone was going to ask the question so I thought I would get it out of the way for you. I'm not a big fan of eggplant so I will likely pass on this one but I love your video recipes and have learned some good techniques along the way.

Unknown said...

I feel bad for those poor, rejected, female eggplants

Unknown said...

The Lyndon LaRouche reference, was one of the best I've heard on Food Wishes. Bravo Chef John!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the low carb recipe... these are far and few between but I enjoy them all the same Chef John!

Feda said...

Chef John this is mutabal not baba ghanouj.

Unknown said...

Yogurt?
Why?

Unknown said...

I accidentally added too much salt. Is there anything I can do to balance out the flavor? Thank you!!

Your Greedy Friend said...

How long does this last in the fridge?

Bill Bartkus said...

Thanks Chef John, I LOVE baba ghanoush. I always assumed there was mayonaise in it, and my doc says I have to limit that kind of stuff, unfortunately. Gonna try 2% greek yogurt.... Whatever...I'm trying this tomorrow using natural charcoal, can't wait.

Shadow Knight said...

This is was yummy - and I don't even like eggplant that much. XD Thanks for the recipe, Chef. :)

Unknown said...

Hi chef, I don't have tahini sauce , any replacement sauce can be use?

Gore said...

This is my first post on Foodwishes, and I have to start with a huge THANK YOU to Chef John. I discovered this treasure site couple of weeks ago, and am totally hooked. Today I picked up a Weber Q charcoal grill of a Craigslist, and can't wait to fire it up tomorrow.
Made my first Ghanoush today, it came out excellent (though one of my the two male-looking eggplants I used had more an incredible amount of seeds...
Also discovered an excellent wine to go with Baba: The Seven Deadly Zins ($10 in Trader Joe's)
I can't believe how well the two go together.
Gore

Unknown said...

Works a treat - great way to use up the last of your charcoal after a BBQ!

Texas Ranger said...

Hi Chef John: Love your recipes and methods. Something strange happened
today when I bought four "male" eggplants. Once roasted and cut open, they had more seeds in them than I have ever noticed in eggplants
ever before, before that is, I ever bothered to sex them! I went back and reviewed
the video and indeed had gotten it right when selecting the vegetable but still
got ones--all four of them--chuck full of seeds!

But the baba ganoush came out swell like all your tecipes do. I also really liked
your saba lamb shanks and am making it again in a day or two!

PittsburghCooks said...

Don't forget to poke the eggplant skins to release the steam from cooking. They can and will explode. Wish I could post the grill photo.

Unknown said...

People confused if this is mutabbaq or baba ganoush dont be its the same dish bt two names.its called mutabbak in arab countries n baba ganoush n others bt its all the same :)

Unknown said...

A reply to (unknown):
I am Arabic and living in Arab country..
to disambiguate the different terms causing confusing:
Actually, what the chef did make is called “mutabbal” not “baba ghannooj” *it’s with J sound not SH, exactly as how the letter C is pronounced in Turkish..
About “mutabbaq”, it is a kind of pies - very thin layers of dough - and it doesn’t contain eggplant at all..
The real “baba ghannooj” is based on eggplants adding tomatoes, pepper, and onion and it doesn’t contain tahini sauce.

I hope to give you a complete answer ��

Skylark said...

Same can be done with garlic, green chillies lamon juice and parcelay. Second kind it can be done with mustard oil, kiyan pepper and your choice of mustard.

🦋💝🦋 said...

Skylar
love the tips. Thank You !)
Actually just got back from a U-Pick it farm and making Babaganush for my hubby. 😉 he has never tried it before. But he is gonna love. Cause im gonna jack it up w a coiple of your tips ✌️😉👍

Unknown said...

How long should I bake the eggplant for?(: