Friday, July 8, 2016

Basil Ricotta Gnocchi – The Other (Better?) Gnocchi

One of these days, I’ll do a proper potato-based gnocchi video, but it’s hard for me, since I enjoy this style so much more. Sure, once in a while, with the help of perfectly cooked potatoes, and trusty ricer, you’ll nail the classic technique, and achieve beautifully light, tender dumplings; but, that’s how these come out every time. Besides, I’m pretty sure since these don’t use potato, or as much flour, we get to call these “low-carb,” which is nice. 

Anyway, the point is these are easy to pull off, and great for a dinner party, since you can shape/boil your gnocchi ahead of time, and then simply brown them up in some butter when you’re ready to serve.

I tend to keep the plating fairly basic for these, but any of your favorite pasta sauces should work. They're great as a main course, especially if you accessorize with some seasonal vegetables, but "as is," they also make for a stellar side dish, or first course. I really hope you give this basil ricotta gnocchi recipe a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 4 Portions Basil Ricotta Gnocchi:
12-ounce container whole milk ricotta cheese (1 1/2 cups), *drained well
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, blanched in boiling water
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
1 1/2 ounces freshly grated Parmesan (about 1 not-packed cup)
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
 unsalted butter for optional browning

Note: Cook a test piece of dough in salted water, and check for seasoning. Add more salt if needed

*My fancy basket ricotta tends to be low-moisture, so if you’re using the much wetter supermarket brands, be sure to drain in a strainer in the fridge for a few
hours to allow the excess water to drip out.

25 comments:

Orenwolf said...

Thanks, Chef! Looking forward to trying this tonight with some home-made Ricotta. :)

Is it crazy to request that you (also?) post flour measurements by weight, like you do already for the cheese?

Thanks! And, sincerely - thank you for making me a better cook.

FoodRaider said...

Chef John:

Do you think that incorporating some toasted pine nuts into the blender would work--or would that make these taste too much like pesto?

Joe Eoj said...

Anyone got a line on where I can get fancy basket ricotta here in Canada.

Christopher Myers said...

Wow chef this looks fantastic! hey... I thought Gnocchi made with ricotta and no potato was actually called Gnudi, ain't it?

Toni Baloney said...

I make ricotta cavatelli, but these basil-green gnocchi look fab.

I cannot tell you how satisfying it was to see the whole mini-blender/bigger blender flub-up followed by the spatula/whisk flub-up. I do that stuff . . .

ALL

THE

TIME

. . . which, I believe, validates my theory that I’m as good a chef as Chef John.

Sarah Connor said...

Hey chef John! These are gnudi. Delicious, but not gnocchi. Thanks for the awesome recipes as always! But I guess you can call them what you like.. you are after all the foodie of your gnudi.

KC Yu said...

Chef john, can i be your apprentice?? I've learned a lot from your videos. You are a great chef. Sense of Humor + cooking skills = A GREAT CHEF!!

Chef John said...

Yes, they are gnudi, but no one does google searches for that. ;)

Chef John said...

Also, yes of course you can try other herbs!

George John said...

We love your videos and would like to know what brand/model of blender you used to make the gnocci?

Lisa from Indiana said...

Made these today and the only thing I did different was to add some roasted garlic which I wanted to use up. I couldn't master the teaspoon thing. So I gave up and fell back on a mini cookie scoop (about a tablespoon) which worked great! I have to find better ricotta, though,because the texture was a bit grainy. Great flavor and they were really fun to make.

Tman said...

Just made this tonight and they were amazing. Followed everything pretty much to the instructions and they were light and bright with that basil taste makes everything taste so fresh. https://www.instagram.com/p/BHtCBiNhFgi/ They were fun to make and we ended up with extra. Any tips on reheating after freezing them?

Snappleton S said...

Mine came out a bit too loose. Any tips for next time? And yes, there will be a next time. Thanks for all you do John.

Michele Cryan said...

happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear.....the guy who helped me cook like I'm a rock star, no way better than that, the rock star's number one chef on the road and blows the mind of everyone he/she cooks for.... Happy Birthday to you!

Joshua Ladd said...

Ricotta gnocchi is SO much easier than the potato stuff! I've never tried browning them before, though, I've gots to do that now. Also, shaping them with the spoons looks way easier and less messy than rolling the dough out and cutting it, like I've been doing.

Thanks for making my life easier and more delicious. : ) Now I've gotta go make these!

Sonia Rizvi said...

of course you can try other herbs! :P Sonia Rizvi

Jason C said...

Cheese fried in butter? Yes please!

Sarah said...

Any idea how to make these low carb? Would you use almond or gram flour?

Daniel Jaremek said...

Hi Chef John! I don't have a blender. My immersion blender came with a slender tall container, should I try puree-ing the basil in that? Or my luck would be better tried with a mortar and pestle?

christina laronge said...

chef john, thankyou so much for your videos. i have been watching you for years, and i always know i will get a chuckle and huge smile while you prepare your dishes. always a highlight of my day and i thank you !!

Kathryn Kauffman Psychic Medium said...

Thank you Chef John for this recipe💖. It was light and delicious. I follow all of your videos on YouTube. I really appreciate your video showing the difference between regular sat and kosher salt. Thanks for all that you do. Regards Kathryn Kauffman

Alex Fox said...

Thank you for this amazing recipe. My gnocchi are chilling in the fridge ready to be formed and cooked and I couldn't be more excited 😀

Geoffrey Chan said...

@Joe Eoj, I live in Canada, Toronto to be specific, and I get my 'fancy basket Ricotta' at Costco. It is about 4.99 each, give or take, depending on where you live and it is 300g which seems to be more or less 1 1/2 cups. I just dump in the whole thing and it worked fine. Anyways good luck.

Jonah Novek said...

Will this work if I make it a day ahead and just refrigerate it until I'm ready to form and boil?

David Fearon said...

Made this today -- very interesting recipe, pretty easy and came out well, thanks Chef John. FYI, I was too lazy to blanch the basil but it didn't seem to have any ill effect.