Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Coconut Cream French Toast – It Only Sounds Like Pie

I try not to do recipe names that sound way better than they taste, but I went with coconut cream French toast anyway. I didn’t think “coconut French toast” did this justice, and while certainly not pie-like, the flavor profile was kind of close, and I was very pleased with the results.

I was debating whether to coat the soaked bread with raw coconut, and toast it while the slices were frying in the butter, but decided it would be smarter to do it separately. That way we get perfect golden-brown flakes, without having to risk it getting too dark in the pan.

By the way, I can’ t stress how important it is to not use fresh bread. The drier the bread, the better the French toast, since you’ll be absorbing the maximum amount of our creamy coconut batter. So, the next time you have half a loaf of bread leftover from a dinner, slice it up, and leave it out overnight to dry.

If you want to cheat, you can lightly toast fresh bread beforehand, which, after cooling, will sort of simulate stale bread. Either way, I really hope you give this coconut cream French toast recipe a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for two portions of 3 half-slices of bread:
3 thick slices very stale French or Italian bread (cut in half to make 6 pieces)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/3 cup coconut milk (do not use low-fat)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
3 tablespoons butter for frying
2 tablespoons toasted coconut flakes
maple syrup, fresh mango, and lime to garnish

17 comments:

Unknown said...

"#forkdontlie" HAHAHA

Ettore said...

Between this and your tika masala, I'll be buying more coconut products :)

lisagee1234 said...

Yum yum will try. Aren't you also TheWolfePit on YouTube. Same voice. Even some cussing. I thought the Wolfe Pit guy was a guy in a wheelchair that only shopped at the dollar store...hhhmmm

Patrick said...

Chef - one of my new year's resolutions is to thank you more often for your awesome videos. So...thanks for posting this!!

I'm looking forward to making this!

Unknown said...

Hey Chef John, I was wondering for the butter, should I be using salted or unsalted butter? Also, should I use fancy butter or does that not really matter?

Huge fan! Usually follow your savory recipes, but you have demystified desserts/sweet things for me, giving me courage to try more sweet dishes.

Raymond

arwiv said...

"if your bread's not dry your french toast isnt fly". One of the funniest things you've ever said.

jorsh said...

Why did you elect not to use the "brown then finish in the oven" French toast method for this application?
Keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

How can you not like coconut?? so many uses, great flavor, and did i say so many uses.

Pat said...

I have been watching your video's for quite a while now dunno how long ten ish yr's maybe and i wnt to thank you for turning me into a pretty decent cook that can bake a loaf of bread using hand as measuring cup being able to make any sauce almost can now taste a marinade know pretty much what meat will be like can do so much,I will never be a chef but you have helped me be someone that can cook :)Thank You Chef John Sincerely !!! um P.S I'm not a coconut fan either I might try this baked though :)

Pat said...

I have been watching your video's for quite a while now not sure how long must be close to ten ishs yr's though,I want to thank you for showing me so much I'm comfortable cooking almost anything :) on top of that your video's beat the comedy channel LMAO Thx P.S i might try this baked :)

Unknown said...

Hello Chef,
Thank you for this video. I made this last night, came out to be pretty good.
Presentation .. your's were a lot prettier.
Actually my family thinks I'm a good chef, only if they New who teaching me all of these.. lol
Thank you again,
One more thing can you make a video how to make Indian style Chilli chicken please.

Unknown said...

Yummy tasty french toast. Very nice presentation.

Unknown said...

Yummy tasty bread. I like french toast a lot.

Gingercrys said...

Just made this for brunch. Delicious - even with gluten free bread. Thank you, Chef John.

Unknown said...

I love your sense of humor chef john. Your puns and references are the best.

NL said...

Holy moly! Made this recipe this morning, but with stale banana bread since I didn't have regular bread. It was decadent and delicious! Another winner, Chef John! Btw, you have a lot of pudding recipes on the blog, but no tapioca pudding recipes. Any chance you could cover that? Tried to make it a few days ago and it didn't quite turn out right. Very eggy. I should have known better than to stray from Food Wishes :) But, you didn't have a tapioca pudding recipe, so stray I did...I regret it.

Rob Houser said...

I wanted to post a pic of the toast but I don't see how. Either way it turned good. Not as much coconut as I expected but my kids liked it so that is a win.