Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Bacon Wrapped Spring Chicken

I’m running off to a very important meeting, and between getting some notes together, and finding a clean shirt, I don’t have time to write the bacon wrapped Spring chicken post just yet. So, for now you’ll have to settle for the ingredient amounts, and I promise I’ll fill out the rest later. Enjoy! 

Okay, I'm back, and ready to finish off this post. Except, I'm not sure exactly what to add, since the technique is every bit as easy as it appears in the video. The only real point of emphasis is keeping the knife relatively still where it goes into the side of the breast, as you cut a nice big pocket inside. Other than that, just be sure to tuck your bacon ends under the chicken, and you shouldn't have too much trouble. 

You should probably use a thermometer to check the doneness, but a great rule of thumb is when you see and hear juices from the stuffing and chicken start to leak into the pan. I just did a quick lemon deglaze, but time permitting, the browned bits in the pan will make a great pan sauce, like the one we did in this Airline Chicken video. Either way, I really hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 2 portions:

For the stuffing:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup sliced green onions (aka spring onions)
2 tablespoons finely diced jalapeno pepper
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese, grated Gruyere, cheddar, blue, or any other cheese
2 tablespoons freshly chopped green herbs (tarragon, parsley, dill, a little thyme, are all great choice alone or combined) 
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 rounded teaspoon fine dry breadcrumbs

For the rest:
2 eight-ounce boneless skinless chicken breast, cut as show
enough salt, freshly ground black pepper, cayenne to generously season chicken
4 to 6 strips of bacon, or enough to wrap chicken breasts
1 teaspoon oil to grease pan
juice from 1 lemon to deglaze pan drippings

- Roast at 425 F. for about 30 minutes, or until an internal temp of at least 155 F.
-->

11 comments:

quiet mike said...

Here for the comments. Thank you for teaching techniques. My family appreciates the culinary skills you have taught me. Respects to you and yours.

Bri-Guy said...

Love your videos. Made a Khachapuri on Sunday, and it came out amazing! Any chance on seeing a video of your take on Cheesy Dynamite Lumpia?

Jeff said...

Goat cheese?

Charsquatch said...

I'm making this right now, though I used sweet red and yellow peppers and accommodated with the spices and found out I was out of bread crumbs, so a tablespoon of couscous a little worried about that.. Considering my normal cooking, it was quicker and easier than most. I'm sure it will be great

Lisa said...

Thank you very much for sharing all these personal and maybe some
times not your favorite great recipes, fun puns, and techniques——but especially for just being you, I’m sure your cooking students “enjoy” your fun methods and encouragement!

Mozella said...

I made this last night using feta cheese, fresh parsley and dried thyme along with dried red pepper flakes rather than diced hot peppers and a dusting of ground chipotle rather than cayenne. It was great.

I used only one chicken breast (it was large but not huge)and halved the stuffing amounts. It easily fed my wife and me with a little bit left over for lunch today.

Pretty easy to make and cook considering the results which were reasonably fancy. This would make a good main dish for a nice dinner party.

JOHN MICHAEL said...

PLEASE ADD A PRINT RECIPE BUTTON TO THE BLOG ENTRY

JOHN MICHAEL said...

PLEASE ADD A PRINT RECIPE BUTTON TO THE BLOG POST

Kathleen said...

Just ate mine.
Halved the onion and trippled the jalapeños. Jack cheese and a bit of cream cheese, and I had a jalapeño chicken popper.
I have a bumper crop of jalapeños in my garden, but I was disappointed because most of them were too small to stuff. I had just picked a bunch of red and green peppers when I noticed this recipe.
Thank you!
I was able to eat jalapeño poppers for dinner, and had some pretty tasty chicken with it too.

Jeff said...

First, I did try goat cheese. It was delicious. It really didn't ooze out as much as I thought it would - but the little that did ooze out added much more complexity and richness to the sauce. My wife said this recipe is a 'keeper'.
Thank you again, Chef John!
Second, I really can't stand it when people type in all caps... its like yelling. In case there are people here who are not 'in the know', all of Chef John's recipes (those after the ancient about.com videos and such, I believe) end up being published on AllRecipes (However, I do think CJ could avoid a lot of nonsense simply by appending the link to the blog post - people keep asking the same question time and time again). https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/272766/bacon-wrapped-spring-chicken/
Thanks again!

Unknown said...

Hello, would this recipe work with cottage cheese instead of feta, or does it need to be a dry crumbly cheese? Thanks