Friday, July 19, 2019

The Best Beef Tri Tip – This Tip is Tops

I received a food wish for roast beef recently, which can be done with many different cuts, but I ended up deciding on the always amazing beef tri tip, since it’s affordable, flavorful, and using this low-temp roasting technique, nearly fool-proof. Above and beyond the great results, this is also one of the easiest approaches out there.

No marinating, no searing, no nothing; just rub on some salt and spices, and pop it into the oven until it reaches the doneness you want. Of course, you can sear it before roasting, or do a reverse-sear afterward, but even without those optional steps, you’re going to be enjoying a lovely plate of roast beef.

Since we’re using such a low temperature, there isn’t going to be much carry-over heat, so be sure that you reach your target temperature before pulling it out. I went with 128 F., thinking it would climb up to 135-ish, but it never went over 130. That worked for me, since I love medium-rare meat, but if you want something a little more done, maybe pull at 135. Either way, be sure to wrap it, and let it rest for 20 minutes before cutting into some of the juiciest beef you’ve ever had.

This is one of those “professional” cuts of beef that are popular in restaurants, and barbecue joints, but not so much for the home cook. It might be a regional thing, as they are a little more common in California, but I really just think it’s a matter of folks not knowing what a great, and easy cut of beef this is. So, with apologies to all the people that wanted to keep this a secret, I’ll close by saying I really do hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 6 generous servings:
2 1/2 to 3 pound beef tri tip
For the rub:
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon freshly minced fresh rosemary

- Optional ingredient suggestion: 1/2 cup beef or chicken broth to mix into the salty, but delicious pan drippings.

- Roast at 225 F. for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until it reaches 130 F. for medium-rare.

14 comments:

carmine said...

Chef, I usually sous vide mine do you think the rub will work sous vide. Are the beans recipe on your site?

Just Joe said...

It's also a great cut because of the way it's shaped. For those in the family that like it a little more done, they can have the narrow end cuts while the others can wait for the middle. It's win-win for everyone.

Katy said...

This looks awesome! I will be trying something like it soon. I’m curious about your loaf pan chicken from 8 years ago though! I came across your teaser video for it on YouTube but can’t find the promised video where you do it in an oven. I’d love to see that one sometime soon!

Unknown said...

Chef John, the tri-tip looks delish and I will make it sometime.

Until then, i don;t know where to send recipe request so i'm going to do it here. I request your version of the Elvis sandwich. I have some leftover bacon and plan to make my first one tomorrow with a honey-cayenne mayo. But I would love to see one made with your touch.

Sincerely,
Nate

Credit Loan Solution said...



My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

RobertMat said...

This is a winner Chef! Every other time I’ve tried a tri-tip, I’ve reduced it to a cinder on the grill. You were exactly right about the lack of carry-over during the rest, so pulling it at 135° served perfectly medium rare beef. You’re the best Chef John!

Minxey said...

I will have to try this the next time I cook tri tip. I usually use the grill, which is how my dad always did it. I grilled 24 lbs for thr 4th of July and had enough left over for sandwiches. Thanks for your recipes.

Tri-state tri-tip fan said...

I need those beans in my life, can you explain how they were prepared?

Unknown said...

Chef john! I love your videos so much! I have been watching you for over 9 years now! I always try my hardest to pickup your tips and tricks. My sister first showed me you while we were overseas with the military. Your recipes inspire and honestly would never have had so much cayenne if it wasnt for you. Me and my sister have a saying that if you dont make a video on it that its not worth cooking. We stick to your recipes. I would travel the world to try some of your food. Do you ever do any more cooking demonstrations? How do we keep up with the master himself?

Jessica said...

Hi Chef John! Since it's about 120° in Maryland (very slight exaggeration) is it possible to make this in the slow cooker? I can't imagine turning the oven on anytime soon. Thank you! BTW, I just saw a recipe of yours I shared on Facebook in 2010. You've been my favorite chef for a long time. :)

Unknown said...

Hello Chef Jon,

I've watched your videos for years and have loved them all. I am a mobile app developer that is a Junior at Indiana University. I am constantly impressing my friends with the food I cook(learning most of it from you), when cooking can be done by anyone. This is inspiring me to start designing an app focused around getting those typically uninterested in cooking, i.e. most college students, interested and invested into cooking. I would love your opinion on it or any advice you might have. I have begun to work on the format of how the recipes will show to the user. I was wondering if I could have your approval to use your recipes for my app while I am working on it. I am trying to mix my love of food and cooking with my passion for technology. I would greatly appreciate any advice or support from you.
Please contact me (At least lie and say its a good idea) at my email, ebeyrer@gmail.com.

-Evan
Congrats on 3 mil!!!

Unknown said...

Another wonderful video Chef John! Congrats on 3 million subscribers! You've earned it

Unknown said...

Another wonderful video Chef John! Congrats on 3 million subscribers! You've earned it

Juice said...

Chef John, this is the first time I've seen tri-tip roast used as a roast. We have always grilled ours, but this should be good also. Thanks