Friday, September 21, 2007

The Creative Culinary Process – You have to be fearless when re-working the classics!

Late night talk show host (and Chef) Jimmy Kimmel, gives us a great look inside the sometimes difficult process involved in taking some common recipe and trying to put a new twist on it. All Chefs face this dilemma at one time or another; you think you have a great idea to improve a classic dish, but it’s met with skepticism and/or disdain. Should you just give up? Or, should you trust your instincts? It’s one of the most challenging aspects of a Chefs existence, and I think this inspiring clip captures it beautifully. Enjoy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

very, very funny. When the jello rolled on the floor the look on that little girls face was classic! Actually the spamsickles didnt look too bad.

Anonymous said...

I think I would actually quite enjoy the tuna s'mores...

I don't think we get graham crackers in the UK though, so maybe I'll give it a go with a digestive biscuit instead.

Chef John said...

something tells me you're actually serious. You Europeans will try anything!

Unknown said...

This was a great segment. Sorry I missed the show.

Anonymous said...

Well, I tried the tuna s'mores...

It was...an experience. I wouldn't try it again, but I don't regret doing it.

As a comparison, I first tried out a regular s'more, and as a person who has never encountered them before, I've got to say "yum!".

Anonymous said...

Great video. I'll be trying the green jello tacos in the not too distant future.

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog, great! This video is no longer available though - pity :(