Wednesday, July 1, 2015

4th of July Special: Red, White & Blueberry Grilled Chicken!

These colors don’t run, but they do stain, so I recommend eating this delicious, red, white and blueberry chicken outdoors, preferably at some type of 4th of July barbecue. While the Independence Day wordplay was very much intentional, this grilled chicken is no gimmick.

Smoky, spicy meats have been paired with sweet-and-sour, fruit-based sauces since we’ve had cooks, so that this combo works beautifully is no big surprise. And yes, other juicy fruit like peaches, or other berries will work nicely.

Like I said in the video, I made my spice rub extra hot, so I could really take advantage of the cooling effects of the sweetness in the sauce. Sweet cancels out heat on your palette, so you can kind of push things a bit if you want. The measurements below are what I used, but you should, and must adjust. 

As far as chicken doneness goes, I recommend checking with a thermometer. If you cook a lot of chicken, it’s fairly easy to tell by feel, but why take a chance? I usually go to 150 F, which left to rest for a minute, should be safe, and very juicy. So, if you’re looking for a very tasty, slightly unusual, appropriately named chicken recipe, I really hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 4 portions:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp ground dry chipotle
1/2 tsp cayenne
2 cloves minced garlic

For the blueberry gastrique:
2 cups blueberries
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
*splash of water as needed to adjust thickness (after the blueberries start cooking)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
*If you make the sauce ahead, your sauce will thicken, and you will probably need to thin it out with some water. When tasting for seasoning, remember this is going to go on highly seasoned meat.

14 comments:

Lupe said...

Being a German, I can't appreciate the patriotic qualities of this chicken. But it sure beats making black, red, and golden chicken. I'd fear the black would need to come from thoroughly burning the poor chicken ;-)

So I'll give your recipe a try, but not necessarily on the fourth.

Minor nitpick - the ingredient list is missing the "finely minced garlic". Looks like two cloves to me.

Unknown said...

This looks really good and quite easy, but now I'm intrigued by the pesto macaroni salad.

Joanna said...

You are the McNulty of your poultry.

Chef John said...

Sorry, you can't match a 2-syllable word and a 3-syllable word for these rhymes! Please leave this kind of stuff to a professional. ;)

Unknown said...

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Jenny said...

Chef John, what's your opinion on using frozen blueberries for the sauce? Is there anything I can properly make with frozen fruits?

Unknown said...

Hello, I was wondering if you have the recipe for the Avacado Macaroni Salad. I'm having some difficulty finding it. It looks delicious and I want to try and make it for a party tonight. Thank you in advance.

Chef John said...

It wasn't avocado, it was just some pesto sauce I added to some mayonnaise! :)

Chef John said...

Frozen blueberries will work!

Unknown said...

Ohhh thank you, that's what I get for not listening to the video haha.

Jackie Ecle said...

Chef John, I tried the chicken marinade with the blueberry sauce, and it was great!! Definitely making it again. Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

Chef John. Would plums and honey work in this as opposed to blueberries?

Roli said...

Will this work if I cook them in a pan?

Unknown said...

What temperature should I serve the sauce at? Cold hot or room?