Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Smoked Trout Spread with Watermelon Radish – Who needs talent when you have cool ingredients?

I like smoked salmon. I really do, but I’m bored with it. Been there, done that…although I decided not to get the t-shirt. So, while shopping last weekend I put down the smoked salmon and picked up a smoked trout filet. In almost any store that sells smoked salmon, you’ll also most likely see a package of smoked trout. This under-used product produces quite a nice smoked fish spread, and can be used in any way you’d use smoked salmon. In fact, many prefer the slightly sweeter and more subtle flavor.

I think you’ll also enjoy the interesting watermelon radish garnish I came up with. This radish is very common in the better produce markets in California, and I hope you are able to find some. Now, I’m not saying I’m the only chef that has thought of using black sesame seeds to make it look like slices of watermelon, but since I haven’t seen anyone else do this, I’m taking credit!



Ingredients:
4 oz smoked trout
2 sprigs fresh tarragon
1/2 lemon
1 cup cream cheese
black pepper and cayenne to taste
watermelon radish (or regular radishes)
black sesame seeds

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool trick

Beans said...

That's just too cute!!!

Anonymous said...

For a second there, I thought they were Dragon fruit, refreshing indeed !:)

Anonymous said...

Those are so adorable, perfect for a picnic, :D