Monday, January 28, 2008

On Holiday in a Forest of Foodies

I will be away for a few days attending the 24th Annual Chefs' Holidays at The Ahwahnee Hotel, in beautiful Yosemite National Park. Every year some of the country's top chefs gather at the historic Ahwahnee to showcase their considerable culinary skills. This is one of the country's great foodie gatherings, and the first time I've been able to attend. I'm really looking forward to seeing (and then sharing with you!) the styles, personalities, and trends that are shaping American cuisine.

The session I'm attending is entitled, "Chefs of the San Francisco Ferry Building" and includes presentations from Traci Des Jardins (you may remember her from the New Iron Chef competition), Peggy Smith and Sue Conley of Cowgirl Creamery (Mmmm...cheese!), and Amaryll Schwertner of Boulette’s Larder (Mmmm...has the word "lard" in it!). The festivities culminate with a fabulous Gala Chefs’ Dinner in the famous Ahwahnee Hotel's dinning room. I can't wait! I haven't been to a good gala in ages.

I will be taking lots of pictures, and stealing as many recipes as I can get my hands on. Time and technology permitting, I will also try and post from the actual event if I have any news or information that just can't wait. By the way, I just learned that "Ahwahnee" was the Yosemite native's word for "gaping mouth." - how appropriate!

Photo © Flickr user bryce_edwards

10 comments:

Chef Wendell said...

darn :( was looking forward to another vid soon!!'
have fun john

Chef John said...

I will be posting new ones soon!

Sarah C. said...

Ooooh! Do you even know how lucky you are? I love the Ahwahnee!! If you are staying there you are truly in for a wonderful time even apart from the great food talks you will have.
I am exceedingly jealous...sigh.

Chef John said...

Yes, we are right in the main hotel!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!
finally the big ppl notice the little ppl! ^^
hehe hope you're able to steal some of those complementary shampoos( which are only good for one time, hehe) HAve a good time! :) XD

Chef John said...

Thanks... but, what would I do with free shampoo!!

Anonymous said...

I dont really know but hey I always do it...because...Well because it's so gosh darn fun. And people are always stealing them...in other words 'free' souvenir from the hotel.
Good Luck (teehee)

Anonymous said...

make a sauce out of it? i'm sure you could think of something haha

Anonymous said...

make a sauce out of it? i'm sure you could think of something haha

Anonymous said...

I'm soooo jealous! You get to do two of my most favorite things in the world... eat great food and talk about it and stay in the most beautiful place on the planet in a wonderful historic hotel. I honeymooned there 30 years ago and have been to the park at least as many times since then.

By the way, if you get a chance to tour the park and like a bit of the unusual ask about the apple orchards. If you visit the one behind the stables you might find a bear or two enjoying the fruit if there is any left.

I cant wait to hear and see all the foodie stuff you will have for us when you get back.

foodie wishes...
CJ