Sunday, September 12, 2010

Three End-of Summer Suggestions

Summer's coming to an end soon, and you're a little melancholy, but what better way to cheer up than by trying a few recipes that really shine this time of year?

You have precious few days of fresh peaches left, and this quick and easy tartlet recipe will give them the send off they deserve. A little Chinese Five Spice is the not-so-secret ingredient, and helps make these so delicious no one will even notice you used pre-made pie dough.

Okay, so you can get onions anytime of the year, but when I think cooler weather ahead, I think of root vegetables. By the way, if you were just thinking, hey, I should post a comment about onions being bulbs, not technically roots, don't. I hate when the facts get in the way of a post's theme. Anyway, this onion soup recipe always gets rave reviews, and is just perfect for a rainy fall day.

There are few tomato varieties as sweet as Sun Gold. These little orange cherry tomatoes are not only super-sweet, they are very plentiful this time of year. I'll admit, they are best eaten raw, but they also make a very nice fresh pasta sauce.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Chef John,

I just love all your videos, they are so simple and easy to follow. I just watched your Hollandaise video and was wondering where I could get one of those fabulous t-shirts?

Chef John said...

Thanks! Just click on the Fashions link in the Main Menu in the sidebar!

Asian Malaysian said...

You really should call it the End-Summer-of-Amena suggestions. Less we faithless mortals forget. Cookie?

Chef John said...

Well, technically I said it was Summer of Amena in the videos ;-)

Indian Restaurant Fan said...

Since onions & tomatoes are easily available through out the year i like the suggestion given for peaches. Spicy peach dishes are Heavens , only people who have eaten it will know its taste.

Jesse from Detroit said...

Watching your salmon video got me to wonder, "Does he ever tire of filming every delicious morsel that comes out of his kitchen? There's gotta be a lot of work involved shooting a video while cooking." In fact, I have no idea what's involved. Have you ever considered a behind-the-scenes, making-of video? I'm sure that I'm not the only one that would enjoy seeing how you go about producing the best cooking blog on the net.

Chef John said...

Well, to do a behind the scenes, I'd need a 2nd camera! ;-)

Beer Brewer said...

To kill the heat in the summer beer is a very good option but since many of us have become health conscious and beer belly is a big no no... it time to taste some organic beer.