Thursday, January 29, 2015

Bagna Cauda – A Real Bathing Beauty

I’m more of a shower guy, but Bagna Cauda is one “hot bath” I’ll take any time. While this qualifies as a warm dip, it has nothing in common with the typical versions that will grace snack tables across America this Sunday.

It doesn’t contain pounds of melted cheese, or come in a bread bowl, but what it does have going for it, is simple, rustic goodness, and proven crowd appeal. Besides, unlike those other "hot dips," this one actually stays hot.

If there were ever a recipe to tweak to your own tastes, it’s this one. You can adjust the amounts of garlic and anchovy, as well as the proportion of olive oil to butter. You can also control how long you cook the mixture before it’s presented.

I think about five minutes is perfect, but many people cook it much longer. Other than that, the hardest part of this recipe is deciding on what to drunk in this ancient dip. Anything goes, but as I mentioned in the video, some chunks of crusty bread are highly recommended. I hope you give this bagna cauda a try soon. Enjoy!


UPDATE: I'm hearing from my friends in Northern Italy that they use TWICE as much anchovy and garlic as I did. So, be advised. 
 
Ingredients for 1 1/4 cup Bagna Cauda
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
6-8 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
6-8 anchovy filets
2 tsp red wine vinegar
chili flakes to taste

16 comments:

Jokerellone said...

Mmmm it seems a little too much oil...

Every time i have made it the garlic is much, much more of only that and is boiled 3 time in milk to take out the stodge by it.
Here there is the coock i follow (almost)
http://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Bagna-caoda.html

NoUseForAName said...

Hey CJ : any instructions for roasting up some those beau-tiful carrots and maybe the timing for blanching them asparagus to bathe (and as usual enjoy) in this hotness?
Thanks!

Lisa from Indiana said...

For the geeks in the audience who know the series "Babylon 5", this is the dish that Garibaldi makes to celebrate his birthday. I never even knew how to spell it! So now I have to make this. (Off to the store for crusty bread and anchovies...)

dz.m.ziv said...

what would you say to using balsamic instead of red wine vinegar?

Unknown said...

I like how you are so not serious. Not only are you a good teacher, you make me laugh.

Chef John said...

NoUseForAName, I just roasted carrots at 425 until tender! I can't give times, since it depends on the sizes. Same for asp. Just blanch for a minutes.

Chef John said...

Re: other vinegar... If you like it, use it!

Unknown said...

Chef, you have been using a lot of anchovies lately. Are you at all concerned that you may turn into an anchovy?

metacree said...

Hey, Chef. I have a food wish that I would love to see you tackle. I want your take on a Chicago style stuffed pizza. I have had a terrible time replicating the dough and I miss it terribly. Hopefully you are not too much of a traditionalist with pizza to not consider it!

masa said...

love it, and i have all those things for the dip.

thanks,

Jane said...

I had the most fantastic bagna cauda in Piemonte Italy and they had, as the other commenter suggests, pre simmered the garlic in milk. Not for the stodge, more to avoid bitterness and insert sweetness, which it was, exquisitely. You are indeed a most excellent video maker, quick clever and funny. Like an anchovy.

richard and erica said...

Great dip!....I just can't hear what type of chili flake you mention in the youtube vid

cyberbot said...

My family is from Northern Italy and while visiting recently they roasted cauliflower with this sauce. I liked it but it was quite strong and definitely had an anchovy taste. Hey John have you ever done any Sous Vide style cooking. I'm just exploring the possibilities.

Ciao

Unknown said...

What is your warmer manufacturer?

Annie_Dykstra said...

Hi Chef John! I was wondering if you have a suggestion for a way to thicken this. I usually like my dips to stick a little better.
Do you have any recommendations? Or would it be blasphemous to change the recipe that drastically?

Let me know! Thanks!
Annie

Annie_Dykstra said...

Hi Chef John! I was wondering if you have a suggestion for a way to thicken this. I usually like my dips to stick a little better.
Do you have any recommendations? Or would it be blasphemous to change the recipe that drastically?

Let me know! Thanks!
Annie