Saturday, January 24, 2015

Quick Pickled Pepper Onion Relish – Not Just for Mini Philly Cheesesteaks Anymore

As promised, here is the pepper and onion relish you saw me accessorize my bite-sized cheesesteaks a few videos ago. The whole trick here is to find peppadew peppers, which have a very vibrant, sweet-hot-tangy flavor, and quickly and easily turn a pan of sautéed onions and jalapeños into a world-class condiment.

Pretty much any large grocery store that has one of those self-serve salad/olive bars will have these peppers. Just be sure to ladle in some of the flavorful pickling liquid, as that’s what really brings this all together. You'll also sometimes see them in jars on the shelf, as well as online.

You can certainly use any jarred, pickled pepper, but this works best with something that’s on the sweet and spicy side. No matter what pepper you use, you can always adjust with salt, sugar, and/or vinegar. Like I said in the clip, even if you don’t do the mini Philly cheesesteaks, I still hope you give this versatile relish a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for about 1 cup of relish:
2/3 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup diced jalapeño
1/2 cup diced Peppadew peppers, or other sweet-hot pickled pepper
1/4 to 1/3 cup of the reserved Peppadew liquid, or as needed

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Chef John:

Thanks for your videos. I love the subtle yet important hints you give (such as using veg oil rather than olive oil). For someone like me who likes to cook, but does not have time to look into every detail, your videos are excellent...short and sweet, not wasting time by showing adding every single ingredient, sprinkled with subtle humor. While I have not loved every recipe, I always feel confident after watching your videos that I can make the recipe.

You know, after watching your videos, I can't watch anyone else's.
Thanks again.

divadmas said...

I just made some Chicago giardinera, really great stuff even though I am not usually a fan of cauliflower. It made some pizza extra spicy and kicks up sandwiches.
That is a great tip on refrigerating oil, I am marinating some chicken thighs in olive oil, lemon and spices and yup the oil has solidified. I will see how the taste changes by switching to veg oil.

Dr. Espresso said...

Is canola oil okay too or does it have the same problem that olive oil has?

Chef John said...

Yes! I used canola! That is a vegetable oil.

explummer said...

My local Trader Joe's has "Trader Joe's Hot & Sweet Cherry Peppers". Sold in a jar and located near the pickles.

Unknown said...

I made the mini Philly cheesesteaks last night. Delicious but this picked onion pepper relis is the bomb! I love this stuff and it's going on hamburgers today. Peppadews are just wonderful. I use them a lot. Remember Tunisian Chicken? Fantastic.
I need to make another batch of this relish just to have on hand. It will brighten any dish.
Thanks for the recipe.