Monday, June 25, 2007

Smoked Chicken Apple Sausage with Cider-braised Cabbage and New Potatoes – A delicious reminder that it’s not winter…yet.

This recipe clip was filmed last fall and for some reason was never posted when it should have been, which was in February when I started this blog. As I watched it, I was shocked by the difference in quality compared to the clips I’ve done with the new camera. So, please excuse the momentary return to the old webcam technology.

As you’ll hear me say in the clip, this really is a great cold weather meal. But, instead of waiting 6 months to post it, I thought I would put in on the blog now for several good reasons. First of all, while it is a classic winter dish, it’s delicious anytime of the year, and the ingredients are easy to find no matter what the season. Secondly, summer cooking is all about quick and easy, and this one-dish recipe definitely qualifies. Remember “braised” doesn’t always mean slow-cooked. Lastly, what a great reminder to enjoy every wonderfully warm second of this summer, because before you realize it you’ll be raking leaves in a sweater.

One quick note regarding shopping for chicken apple sausage. Due to the recent increase in popularity of these chicken and turkey based sausages; many larger grocery stores may stock as many as 4 or 5 different brands and varieties. But, be sure to check the labels! Some brands (usually the less expensive ones) will have just as much fat as the classic pork-based sausages they’re suppose to be a healthier alternative too.



Ingredients:
4 smoked chicken apple sausage (1 pound)
1 1/2 tsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 pound new potatoes (I like Yukon gold or red)
1 yellow onion
3 cups apple cider or juice
1 green cabbage, shredded (about 1 1/2 pounds)
salt and pepper to salt
Dijon mustard and fresh parsley to garnish

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

great point about the sausage labels... most people think that chicken and turkey sausages are all lower fat, but many are not and you have to choose carefully. i love anything braised in apple cider, even beef brisket, yummmm

Chef John said...

yes, i think I remember a German recipe for brisket braised in apple cider. I'll have to try that. thanks

Anonymous said...

Hm, I don't think I've ever seen "smoked chicken apple sausage" here in Germany anywhere. But I probably need to ask the butchers around here where I can get them.

The dish looks delicious.

Chef John said...

I hope you can find some, but it will work with any sausage really.

Anonymous said...

you make it look so easy. nice recipe, i love braised cabbage (i'm Polish!)

Anonymous said...

Mmm... has all my favorites.

Gloria said...

I was looking for a cabbage recipe and this looks delicious! I prepare something similar and have always used apple sauce, a tip a Polish friend shared. Can't wait to make this version.