Friday, June 29, 2007

Wasabi Dipping Sauce – How much can you take?

This very simple (and fat free) dipping sauce is a great all-purpose condiment for many things. I love it with the spring rolls I made yesterday, but it’s also good with many Asian dumplings, pot stickers, etc. As I mention in the video clip the amount of Wasabi you add is completely up to you and your pain threshold. I ended up with 3 teaspoons worth, but I think most of you will be fine with one or two. By the way, I know full well that “I’m over-powering the flavor of the fish.” I’m fine with that. For me the spring rolls were just an excuse to catch a Wasabi buzz.

This sauce can be varied in many wonderful ways by adding lemon, lime, cilantro, garlic, green onions, ginger, etc; well, you get the idea. Happy dipping, and enjoy!



Ingredients:
1 to 3 tsp Wasabi powder
1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1 tsp Shiracha hot sauce
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce

Bonus Wasabi Video Clips: Damn you Budweiser!

In the clip I joked about people that still do the “Waaassssaaaabiiii” greeting from the Budweiser commercial that ran ages ago. Like I said, it was funny for about 2 days. Then it was just annoying. Now it’s actually painful to hear. Please, I beg you, stop doing it! Believe me, your friends (if you have any left) will really, really appreciate it. Here’s the original commercial that started the insanity.


And here is a clip of someone still actually using it! I sent her a message on YouTube asking her to please stop. She was a good sport about it but replied “never!” She said her friends “loved it.” Sure they do.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, I have a cooworked that still does it....WAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEE! OMG, I'm going to make him read this post!

Anonymous said...

Haha...I guess you're a real hot head! Just kidding but you're a really cool guy. Get it "real cool"? I know I really stink with jokes. :(
But thanks for the dip recipe, trying to influence more spicy foods. I heard it makes you live longer. The commercial was sooo annoying and so was the lady. She's worse than me with jokes!

Balu said...

Dudes, ok Wasabi gives a nice hot flush in the nose, but if you want to really feel some endorphine pumping pain get some Habanero based hot sauce like Vicious Viper (my favourite).

This does not only hurt a lot longer, but twice ;).

Greetings from Germany and thanks for your work, Chef John

Chef John said...

Once is fine for me....

Anonymous said...

John,

Just wanted to say hi, and thanks for stopping by our little corner of the online cooking world.

We're just getting going with CanadianFoodies.com and it was exciting to follow you back to this site and see what a great job you're doing here!

Hope you visit us again sometime!

Michael V
Chief Foodie @
www.CanadianFoodies.com

Chef John said...

Thanks. You should add a links section to your site so you can trade links with other foodie sites.

Anonymous said...

Hello there, just have a question. Can the wasabi paste be used instead of the powder? I already have the paste.

Thanks

Chef John said...

yes!! paste is better

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Just wondering, I usually don't have suishi without saki, so I might have never noticed before...but how buzzed can wasabi cause you to feel? I am pretty much a light-weight with everything, maybe that has something to do with it? Or could it just be the awakening strength of the wasabi mixed with the double tall mocha i had a few hours ago?

*by the way it feels great!

Thanks!

Chef John said...

well its hard to say, all hot peppers, radishes, etc. cause some release to endorphines to combat the heat. It depends on the person.

Anonymous said...

There is Someone who still Does the waaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbiiiiiiiiiiii On youtube. Here is the link and watch the whole video

http://www.youtube.com/user/realannoyingorange?blend=4&ob=4#p/u/6/dkHJKakHMpo