Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Salmon Hash – the Perfect Breakfast for a Jet-lagged Chef

I was so tired from flying cross-country last night, there was just no way I was going to have a fresh, new video to post today. So, I was very happy when I realized I'd saved this salmon hash recipe shot for About.com.

I really, really love traditional corned beef hash. It's on my short list of potential "last meals." There are few things sexier than the yolk of a perfectly cooked poached egg slowly flowing over and into a crusty corned beef hash.
The problem is, a steady diet of corned beef hash and poached eggs for breakfast may bring about this "last meal" much more quickly than one would prefer. So, as a more heart-friendly alternative I offer you this recipe. Enjoy!

Note: This video was shot for About.com, so when you click on the video below, you'll be taken to the recipe page there (complete with transcript and ingredients).


8 comments:

Chase Saunders said...

Crustification!

Unknown said...

Wow! This video is so different than the others, different music for one. for two---Youre IN IT! :) Thanks Chef John.

Anonymous said...

I like your videos better than the about.com ones. The hands-only thing makes for much better use of time; you seem to get much more info into the ones you make for foodwishes.

Jesse from Detroit said...

Gotta ask... So many different opinions on how to perfectly poach an egg. How do you do it?
-Jesse from Detroit

Chef John said...

check it out http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2007/03/eggs-benedicts-last-2-episodes-to-make.html

Chris said...

I rather like you being in the videos. I wish that your foodwishes videos had a bit more of you in them, But they're very good as is. Maybe you could add an intro to them with you in it? :)

Sy said...

Let's say you don't have left over salmon. Could another meat be used in this? And if so, what herbs would work with that other meat?

am. said...

Hello! I've been meaning to try this recipe forever and I'm finally ready, but it is no longer posted on about.com! Can you repost the video, or perhaps do a new salmon hash video? I'm from Seattle and have salmon at my finger tips all the time, but have also thought about using canned smoked salmon, etc.