Thursday, July 22, 2010

Using My Melon… for the Third Time!

So, to celebrate the last rerun you'll have to suffer through for a while, I've decided to post this spectacularly delicious watermelon and feta salad with toasted cashews. Not only is this a rerun, it's a rerun of a rerun.

The original was filmed when I first started online. The camera I used back then was a tiny web-cam, duct-taped to a spice rack. The sound was bad, the humor even worse. A couple years ago, I decided to use the original footage and some of the audio to produce a new clip in iMovie.

Above and beyond having some fun at the expense of the rerun complainers, I wanted to post this today because watermelon has been super-sweet lately, and there are few things as perfect together as sweet, wet watermelon and salty, feta cheese.

This is Michele's favorite summer salad (probably mine as well), and anyone I've ever talked to that's made this, and brought it to a summer cookout, has gotten an embarrassingly large amount of compliments. So if you're into that kind if thing, please give it a try!

UPDATE! Sorry, I should have mentioned that this salad is even more awesome with some fresh mint on top (as pictured above).

Note: We attended a very cool cookbook release party at Domaine Chandon last night (if you were following me on Twitter, you saw some of the highlights, like this blurry iPhone pic of green gazpacho with tiger prawns), and are driving back into San Francisco today. Stay tuned for some amazing new video recipes very soon! (like tomorrow, I hope)


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I know what I'm bringing to the neighborhood BBQ in Aug! Thanks Chef for always giving me the best ideas with your fabulous recipes!

Anonymous said...

Great combo!

One question, Chef: in the photograph at the top of the post, it looks like there might some sort of chopped green herb on the top...mint, maybe? Or is that part of the "water color" effect?

As always, thank you !!

Chef John said...

yes, fresh mint is very nice.

Emily said...

Can't wait to try this! I'm 6 months pregnant and cannot get enough feta cheese! I'd seriously have a feta cheese sandwich right about now.

Hollis K. Lee said...

I tried this last weekend but I only had romaine and boring watermelons with the seeds but it was well received.

Jesse from Detroit said...

WOW does this look interesting! And simple! (My favorite kind of dish.) Gonna make this for my wife tonight... she's gonna freak. Would a mesculin mix be apropos? Not sure I've ever seen boston or that hybrid lettuce at my market.

Chef John said...

Yes, any lettuce will work!