Thursday, July 14, 2011

I'm Hot to Tot

Photo (c) Average Betty
How good is my potato tot recipe? It was just chosen by Sara, from Average Betty, as her favorite in a "Tot-O-Rama" taste test, alongside versions from Chefs Michael Symon and Mark Zeitouni. But that's not the impressive part…this all happened despite the fact I don't actually have a 'tater tot recipe. Take that, chefs that cook things first!

Apparently AB was so taken by my crispy onion ring recipe (posted below in case you missed what may be my best recipe of all time), that she virtually included me in her Tot-O-Rama using a coating inspired by our ultra-crispy rings. She was right about one thing; I will be giving this tasty-looking tot a try in a future post!

Thanks to Sara for sharing her great "Tot-O-Rama" video, and be sure to follow this link to read the entire post. Enjoy!


Our Crispy Onion Rings Recipe (click here for recipe)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those looked really really good... Now the decision to buy some oil and fry these up myself, or just drool all over my computer.

Chef John Style Tots, and the bare tots looked the best.

Anonymous said...

Average betty looks pretty delicious herself

Monica said...

My pineapple chutney loosely based on your peach recipe turned out so good I made curried eggs to accompany it (OK all Tasty Bites prepackaged stuff; when you live in the boonies you plan for Indian urges)

Rita said...

anyone should know better that you really have one heck of a technique when it comes to cooking. alright, chef john! WOOHOO!!

averagebetty said...

Chef, Always an honor and privilege to be featured on your site. Sorry I couldn't work any fairy dust in -- next time!

Unknown said...

Foodwishes > Iron Chef

Stew said...

My God, that Average Betty is wayyyy more than average...so freaking hot...hotter than those tots right out of the grease!

Chris K. said...

I'm glad you re-posted the onion ring video. They'll be perfect with the steaks I'm grilling tonight.

Gina said...

Nice win! I hadn't watched Average Betty before - I thought she was easy to follow and very entertaining!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Average Betty's tots are a bit more that average! :D
Quite frankly. doubt AB will be gracing Michelle Obama's school lunch food recommendations panel. However, after MO 1500+ lunch this weekend, maybe CJ's tater tots will be discovered by Michelle.

Nice tater tot recipe CJ!

Steve said...

Chef:

Regarding the onion rings, would potato starch work as a substitution for the instant mashed potatoes?

Anonymous said...

Average Betty's Sarah, unlike her oil, is smoking! I'd definitely eat the tots out of HER pocket