Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Braised Chicken and Artichoke Hearts with Lemon, Cherry Peppers and Thyme

This delicious and easy chicken recipe is great example of how a few simple ingredients can come together to create an incredibly complex and flavorful dish. Even though there are not a lot of different ingredients, the ones we are using give us a wide range of textures and tastes. The succulent braised chicken thighs, falling off the bone, scented with fresh lemon and thyme; the creamy artichoke hearts and butter beans (our surprise secret ingredient); the sweet and sour cherry peppers, with their slight heat; all swimming in a rich and nutritious broth. Are you getting hungry yet? And, no, you can’t use breasts, so don’t ask. If you're one of these people that doesn’t like “dark meat,” please give this recipe a try and you will surely be converted. Come over to the dark side, it sure is delicious over here!

A couple of things I mention in the video recipe that I wanted to expand on here. I like to buy the whole canned artichoke hearts verses the quartered pieces. I find them to have a better texture and sometimes the quartered hearts are over-marinated in the brine they are packed in. Also, spend the extra dollar and get the better imported brand, it will be worth it. I’ve used the Peppadew cherry peppers in a similar dish, my Spicy Mediterranean Chicken with Sausage Stuffed Cherry Peppers, so if you want more info you can check out that post and clip. If you can’t find that exact pepper don’t worry, any jarred or fresh cherry pepper will work. You can even use sweet red bell peppers if you prefer.

Even though I didn’t serve it that way in this clip, this recipe is amazing on top of some pasta or rice. But, my favorite accompaniment would be a slice of crusty Italian bread to dip into the fragrant broth. No matter how you decide to serve it you are in for a treat. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
4 Chicken Leg Sections (thigh and drumstick, bone in)
10 canned whole artichoke hearts, cut in half
2 cups cherry peppers
1 or 2 lemons, juiced (about 1/3 to 1/2 cup juice)
1 yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
8 sprigs of thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 tbl olive oil
1 quart chicken stock or broth
* Braise for 1 hour at 375 F
* Adjust for salt and pepper before serving

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, does this mean that you're going to post everyday of the week and have weekend fillers now? And I thought at you would post all the recipes from the poll. I tried the mashed potatoe recipe it was the best I had. :) Good technique! *thumbs up(way up)*

Anonymous said...

By the way "Come over to the dark side, it sure is delicious over here." Haha very funny.

Anonymous said...

Wow I finally realize the difference of the equipment. And It looks very tasty. My mouth waters.

Chef John said...

Please read (or re-read) the "Making Culinary History" post I did last week regarding the posting frequency. I think I explained in excruiating detail why I can't post every day for a while. I'm trying to do 3 clips a week if possible and also weekend things as I did this weekend. Yes, I will eventually do the recipes from the poll, but you'll just have to stay tuned since I don't have a schedule set for clips. In the meantime feel free to explore other areas of the site....like the donation button. You can help make daily clips possible sooner!! Thanks for watching.

Anonymous said...

wow, that looks great. I love stewed chicken legs. Youre right, breats just dont work for these dishes. Besides if I trim off the fat I dont think the legs and thighs are that bad.

Chef John said...

I agree totally. And the fat will also rise to the top and you can skim it off of course. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I made this last night and except for the "cherry" peppers, really loved the dish. The cherry peppers I bought were green (just couldn't find the red ones though I could swear that I've seen them before). The green ones were tough and saturated in vinegar (I did rinse them several times beforehand). The chicken itself was delicious and meat was falling off the bone. Excellent!!

w said...

"those give it just a little nice creamy i don't know ..."
if you decide to make a comment...
finish it

Chef John said...

maybe you should rewind it and listen again...

QUOTE: "those give it just a little nice creamy i don't know...(slight pause as I think of the right word)...component"

I think you owe me an apology and a donation to the site!! $50 should make things right between us.

BTW, I suggest to all my viewers to rewind and watch (and listen of course) to these clips at least 3 to 7 times to really get the full Chef John effect.

texichan said...

Thanks for the response earlier regarding the thyme. I made this last night and I'm about to enjoy it again! Turned out very well - the butter beans are an excellent finish. =)

Estoy_Listo said...

I can't believe this recipe didn't draw dozens of raves. This is a real one-of-a-kind dish.

Allison said...

My oven is broken at the moment but I really want to make this. Is there a stovetop version that would work just as well?