Tuesday, October 30, 2007

San Francisco Here We Come... Have Some Pumpkin Brulee While You're Waiting

My wife and I are headed back to the City after a hectic, but very enjoyable visit to New York for my sister's wedding (see previous posts). We had a great time at the wedding, and I even managed to finish the About.com try-out. Now, I just have to wait to hear if I am chosen for the job. Regardless of that decision, I'll be back to a normal filming schedule in a day or two. Thanks for your patience, and while we are in the air, here is a nice seasonal re-run that I think you'll enjoy. Even if you already saw this clip, and made this delicious Pumpkin Brulee, go ahead make it again. Remember how good it was? Original post text to follow:

This is a great seasonal twist on the restaurant classic, and also a really great reason to use a blow torch! I recently had a request for a pumpkin flan. While I love to satisfy my viewers every culinary whim, sometimes I just can’t do it. The problem with a pumpkin flan is that the starchy, slightly grainy texture of the pumpkin puree would ruin the smooth, silky mouth-feel which is what makes a flan, a flan. You would basically be left with a crust-less pumpkin pie.

So, I decided to show this delicious Pumpkin Brulee whichs makes for a great winter dessert. The texture is actually closer to a pudding than a classic crème Brulee, and of course, the star of the dish is the crisp, “Brulee,” sugar top. This is great for your busy holiday schedule, since you can make them the day before and then finish torching the sugar before you serve. Crème Brulee blow torches are very easy to find in any kitchen store or online. You also should have a set of oven-proof ramekins. I use mine for many recipes, both hot and cold.


Ingredients:
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 egg yolks
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
white sugar
pinch salt

7 comments:

JadedOne said...

Wow, I never knew pumpkin creme brulee could be so easy. I'm definitely gonna give this one a try either on my pre-Thanksgiving party or the real Thanksgiving dinner at my parent's house. Thanks Chef John!

Nikki said...

I would put the ramakin on the potholder as i was torching it. I have a habit of burning my self. Then I just turn the hold and the ramakin will turn with it.

Chef John said...

Great idea. But, danger is my middle name! Actually it's Armand.

NoUseForAName said...

hey chef J.
Made these today and they are awesome. Don't kill me but because of Dairy issues, I made it with Cocunut Cream and it was amazingly delicious, if a bit oversweet.
On to my question: I'm having a thanksgiving dinner with a whole bunch of family - and don't have ramekins for each person. Can this be done in a large batch in a single dish? Any changes that should be made?
i.e. can a large baking dish be used or will the custard not set well?
if i can do it in a large dish, how do i figure out how to long to keep it in the oven?
is there a way to make this without surrounding it with water?
If it needs water, does the dish need to be covered 1/2 way with water? ( i might not have anything bigger than my biggest dish. ...I guess that's redundant!)
Should the cooking temp be the same?
Any tips for caramelizing a large area evenly?

I hope this is a question others can also benefit from.
Thanks for everything,
-E

NoUseForAName said...

*bump* on the questions from last year...on making one Big Brulee.
Thanks!

arazer said...

Me too for the larger version how does that go,,,,

Unknown said...

Chef John, this should be pumpcreme brulee.