Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Grilled Ham-Wrapped Prawns - Declare Independence from the Tyranny of Barbecue Boredom!

This grilled prawns wrapped in Serrano ham video recipe, I did for About.com, is a perfect way to add a new, delicious, and very easy menu option to your Fourth of July barbecue. Once the prawns are wrapped and skewered, they only take about 5 minutes to cook, and are guaranteed to be the hit of the 'Q.

In the video you will hear me talk about Serrano ham, which is very close to a proscuitto. The great thing about this recipe is that you can really use any thinly sliced, smoked ham. A nice Virginia ham, or Black Forest ham would work great. I have even seen people use pastrami!

The skewers can be seared in a pan, as I do in the video, or broiled, but the best way, and this should totally work this weekend, is to throw these on the grill for that extra special hit of smoky caramelization. By the way, if you aren't crazy about the Spanish-style I chose, this technique works with any flavor profile - Asian, Italian, Cajun, or just a little salt and pepper. Enjoy!

Click here for ingredients and transcript

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This shrimp dish looks so good. I always have the raw, cleaned frozen shrimp in my freezer. I will definetly try this along with bacon wrapped dates and bacon wrapped Manchego cheese (had this in Madrid when I was visiting my son) With any left over ham I can make croquettes. What a tapas treat with a nice cold cerveza.

Chef John said...

That sounds great!!

Anonymous said...

PERFECT timing! I was looking for something to bring to our neighborhood 4th of July potluck, and this is it!

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious! I'll be sure to try it out sometime!

Coach Rollie said...

Wow, that looks good, and it fits nicely into my diet. Great protein source. It would just need a side of vegetables.

Chef John said...

It's really great on a crisp salad!

Anonymous said...

Yay that looks so good! I like your videos very very much, probably because your voice goes really well with the jazz piano in the background. Anyway every video is a real treat, thanks chef!

Anonymous said...

AAAHHH! Chef John! It looks like a few of your videos are missing!

mekman said...

I cannot view this video, are all older videos just unavailable? where can we go to see some of these?
I have tried lots of different videos and many are unviewable?

help help

please post solution on upcoming blogs, not sure i can find this one again to monitor response