Monday, March 9, 2009

Penne Pasta with Peas and Prosciutto for Poor Us

Inspired by Clara and her depression-era pasta and peas, I decided to do my own take on this meager macaroni. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the next big thing in the food world is going to be these types of "frugal fabulous" recipes.

During this video recipe for penne pasta with peas and prosciutto you're going to see a few of the classic strategies for stretching those dwindling dollars. There's the pasta and beans (get used to seeing those), as well as the see-through width slice of meat (you could read the paper through it, if you could afford the paper).

The hardest part about making this video was resisting the temptation to make the recipe better, but I really wanted to stay true to the mission of achieving maximum flavor and satisfaction, with a minimum of cost and ingredients. The result was a delicious, filling, cheap, and soulful bowl of food. Enjoy!

Note: Vimeo is still having sound issues.



Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
a few thin slices prosciutto, chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp dried thyme
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste
hot red pepper flakes to taste
1 lb frozen peas, thawed
1 15-oz can white beans, drained
14.5-oz box penne pasta
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, optional


* Please help support free video recipes, and visit my new sponsor, MOZO Shoes. Find out why chefs (like me) are buzzing about their great shoes!

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a jazzed up version of Carla's pasta dish. Looks wonderful. Just might do this up tonight. I have made the peas and pasta dish for so many years and never thought to improvise. That is why you are the chef (teacher) and I am the student. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Mmm-mm.
This would make you forget about that loan you just can't pay.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Clara, Earlier I wrote your name as Carla. That is what I get for inhaling too much garlic and basil fumes this morning while preparing marinara sauce for my baked eggplant.

Anonymous said...

OOOh loving the adaptation. Although Clara has won my heart personality and stories wise wasnt too sure about the recipes but your twist gave it a whole yummy new meaning! I adore parma ham, would this work with chorizo as well?

Chef John said...

IMHO Chorizo works in anything!

Anonymous said...

Tell you, those smoky mediterranean flavours would make any dish a true foodwish lol

Anonymous said...

Sweet. I'm going to make this and use the entire package of prosciutto.

Chef John said...

Sure, rub it in.

Anonymous said...

How many servings would you say, 3-4?
Luisa Vacaville

Netts Nook said...

I keep coming back everything just looks so good. yummy

Greg said...

Looks fine but I'd have to add the peas at the very end to preserve a little color.

Washed out looking peas reminds me of the horrible canned peas my mom made me eat.

Oh the horror!

Chef John said...

No! Peas should be boiled so they get nice and soft and sweet and mushy. Bright green firm peas ain't depression eats.

Chef John said...

yes, 4 med. portions

Anonymous said...

this probably made more than 10 pots back during the depression! 5 bucks.. maybe more i'm not sure haha

Anonymous said...

Chorizo, great idea. I have a Portuguese father-in-law who loves my cooking so I will use some linguica sausage. This one goes on my regular rotation.

Anonymous said...

I can see that it's a good thing I have a Victory Garden! Now THERE'S a dollar stretcher, and organic! Hmmm - pasta & zucchini with basil leaves and fresh tomatoes. Gotta wait a few months ...

Anonymous said...

I'm half Portuguese and I try to use as many portuguese flavours in my British cooking as possible.

Greg said...

I can't do mushy peas man!

I believe it's more authentic but I saw too many piles of wrinkly, gray/green canned peas with margarine on them.

Is Serrano a Spanish ham?

Chef John said...

yes, from serrano

Cheap Cell Phone said...

oh Wow! that looks amazing, I am drooling over the keyboard. Great dish!

Unknown said...

Hey

Looks so good. I will try this.

Chef John. Where is that quote (at least not yet) and that music from?

Jennifer said...

I made this recipe last night using duck proscuitto and garbanzo beans. It was excellent to say the least and very easy. I'm so exicted to have found this website and can't wait to try some of the other recipes. Thank you for the recipes and videos!

Anonymous said...

Love the recipe. I used the potato, some ham and left out the beans. Looks delicious and we can't wait to eat! Thanks!

masa said...

wow your sure right. you wrote "I hope I'm wrong, but I think the next big thing in the food world is going to be these types of "frugal fabulous" recipes." And, I see Food network producing shows with this very idea.

Unknown said...

Oh, I loved Clara. I watched for quite a while and then got caught up in other things. Is she still doing her little show? Yvonne

sbarin21 said...

By any chance Chef John, do you know how many people this would feed with the ingredients used underneath the recipe?

sbarin21 said...

By any chance Chef John, do you know how many people this would feed according to the ingredients you listed underneath the video?

Chef John said...

about 4 medium portions.

Unknown said...

Just made the dish and it would have been more flavorful had the meager amount of pancetta been increased by 100%.
It's good that the recipe saved money but as it sits it's more...
EH...

Tom_MacIver said...

can I use ham or bacon instead?

Iboga said...

I made this tonight and it was a huge hit. I used about 2 handfuls of diced pancetta instead of the small amount of prosciutto. Great northern beans with the peas and pancetta and the sauce and the cheese...dear God it was delicious. I agree with the chef that it's tempting to want to add and make this better but even as is it was amazing.