Thursday, March 5, 2009

It Takes Some Huevos to Cook on a Ranch

I was very excited when I saw Huevos Rancheros on my assignment list for About.com. It's one of those breakfast recipes that I love, but never remember to make.

Huevos Rancheros simple
means ranch-style eggs, and if you've ever worked on a ranch, like I have (I picked corn one summer), you understand the importance of a hearty breakfast.

There are many variations of this dish, all which includes some kind of eggs to
pped with some kind of tomato and chili-based sauce. This video recipe shows a fairly traditional preparation with two slight twists. I like my ranchero sauce kind of smooth - where as most classic versions are quite chunky. Also, instead of the plain tortilla base, I slip in a slice of cheese for a little quesadilla action.

If you decide to go ahead and try this (and when you see the money shot at the end, you really won't have much choice), you should follow my lead and have it with the
rice and beans. I love homefries the much as the next ranch hand, but there's something about the way the egg yolk and ranchero sauce mix together that works so well with frijoles refritos and arroz.

Since this recipe was produced for About, the following video link will take you off the site to watch the video, just don’t forget to come back. Enjoy!


Ingredients:
1 tbsp of tomato paste
1 tsp of vegetable oil
1/2 cup diced onions
big pinch of salt
2/3 cup diced green chilies - combination of hot or sweet i.e.jalapeno & Fresno chilies
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp oregano
14.5-oz diced tomatoes
1/2 cup of water
salt and cayenne pepper
Corn tortillas
Pepper jack cheese
2 eggs
Cilantro

21 comments:

An Ng. said...

Oh man that looks good. I used to live in Idaho where we had a ranch, and ya, you gotta to eat to work there.

Sam said...

That looks delicious. Do you have to use a corn tortilla, or could you use some fresh, homemade flour tortillas like you showed us how to make?

Anonymous said...

Looks good!
Did you ever do an Osso Buco yet?
I made one last weekend with beef shanks (pocketbook consideration) but I'd be interested in your version.
thanks,
Luisa Vacaville

Chef John said...

I haven't yet. I've done beef shanks with tortellini. I'm not a big veal shank fan.

Chef John said...

any work well

Connie T. said...

That looks go good. I love the "Moo" you put in the video.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chef--that looks great! I'll leave mine chunky tho. But no Cumin spice in the ranchero sauce??

you get 'assignments' from About.com? hope you get to still make recipes from yourt heart.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chef--that looks great! I'll leave mine chunky tho. But no Cumin spice in the ranchero sauce??

you get 'assignments' from About.com? hope you get to still make recipes from yourt heart.

Chef John said...

cumin optional. i get assignments to do videos for the About.com site. nothing to do with my foodwishes videos, which all come from the heart or are stolen from other chefs.

PukaDog said...

I'd like to try this, but first, a dumb question: how do you get the "inner white" of the sunny-side egg done without it turning out too runny or drying out the yolk?

I've tried a cover on the skillet to steam the egg a few times, but this typically results in a dried out yolk by the time the inner yolk has turned white. I'm cooking on a low heat (the "3" or "4" setting on an electric stove - I'd prefer gas, too, but gotta work with what's I gots). You get all types here at Food Wishes, don't you?

Chef John said...

i usually "scrape" a little of the white from near the yolk to the outer edges, this cooks the white faster and more evenly.

Anonymous said...

Huevos Rancheros, now that is a meal for any time of the day or night. Yummy! And with the home made flour tortillas you taught me to make. It is a winner.

Anonymous said...

great recipe! made the sauce and its been enough for 3 days so far. Made the tortillas too.

tucker's mama said...

i was bummed that the ingredience for the huevos wasnt listed on your site as you usually do. extracting them from about.com is painful:(

Chef John said...

better you than me!

Chef John said...

thanks! posted

Nazihah said...

Hi Chef John!

Just wanted to take a moment to thank you for all the

recipes you put up. When my husband and I make our weekly menus, your site is one of our top resources. You take the intimidation out of these recipes...we actually prefer to eat at home rather than eat out!

Quick question, do you think this ranchero sauce would work well as an enchilada sauce?

Rob said...

You were right, the money shot did me in!

Those eggs look delicious. I belong to a group who get together for two-day barbecues a couple times a year. Breakfast is always a big thing while we're waiting for the deep-pit to work its magic. For the hangovers, I'm sure this will work just as well, or even better than the Chiliquiles!

Maybe we should have both and vote on it!

Bruce said...

Dear CJ. I love all your videos. Your jokes are funny and usually make me chuckle. But I was caught by surprise by the moooo-ing cow after you said, "After a hard day on the ranch . . ." and spontaneously had one of those great belly laughs. I just thought that was so darn funny. I know this is an old post and doubt you will see this comment but thanks so much for all the wonderful recipes great laughs.

frugal traveler said...

Please redo this recipe/video. The link no longer works and I'd love a plate of this right now!

Anonymous said...

Chef John can you please upload the video again? It appears that in the shuffle of creating The Spruce, About deleted your video. I searched everywhere. There's a written recipe from someone else, but no video and no Chef John. This one is a staple for a lot of folks and it would be a shame for all of your work producing it to vaporize. Thanks for all you do!