Tuesday, May 5, 2009

¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

Here's a collection of video recipes featuring fantastic food inspired by the cuisines of Central and South America. You never forget your first love, and when it comes to ethnic food it was the foods of Mexico and points south that first captured my heart and imagination some 28 years ago, as I began eating my way across San Francisco. I realize Cinco de Mayo is a bigger deal out here in California, but no matter where you live, I hope you give some of these festive recipes a try. Enjoy!



Salvadorian Chicken Stewed in Cream







Chicken Chili (or Chile) Verde









Pineapple Pork Al Pastor








Mexican (Spanish) Rice








Chili-Rubbed Pork Chops









Chicken Chimichanga








Scallop and Mango Ceviche

6 comments:

blogagog said...

For those of you who don't speak spanish, allow me to interpret this man's headline:

"Happy Mayonnaise of May!"

blogagog said...

Or is it 'fifth of mayonnaise'? Crud, I've got to go back to school.

Chef John said...

I believe your attempt at humor should have been phrased as, "Happy Fifth of Mayonnaise!"

I'll do the jokes. ;-)

blogagog said...

Bah. As they say in Mexico, your jokes do not hold a chupacabra to mine!

I think... Ok, I'll let you do the jokes :(.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about those chimichangas... they were awesome. I've got to make those again...

Ana said...

I made these today! They were delicious. My fiance says they're on the list now that I know how to make them.

I used thighs. made for a very juicy thingamajig.