Monday, May 4, 2009

Fresh Asparagus with Ham, Garlic and Lemon

If I had a farm, this is how I'd eat asparagus. I would plant lots of asparagus, and every spring I would collect bunches of beautiful green spears.

I would ignore the calendar - for me, spring would begin each year on the day I cut my first asparagus.

I would plant rows and rows of garlic. I would never have to buy garlic, or worry about being out. I would never stop being amazed at how every year's crop tasted a little different from the last.

I would raise hogs for so many reasons, not the least of which would be to cure my own ham. I would hang them in a dark cool cellar, and peak at them every day.

I would plant a lemon tree in just the right spot, so the warm summer breeze carried the blossom's sweet scent through the kitchen window. If I had a farm, this is how I'd eat asparagus. Enjoy.



1 pound fresh asparagus
2 tbsp olive oil
2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto ham, or any ham, roughly chopped or torn
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1 lemon, halved
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste, optional

12 comments:

Asian-Malaysian said...

I think this is your 4th post since April featuring asparagus. I sure wish I was living in your area with access to such great produce. Still, you must be getting odd looks when you use public urinals by now.

Connie T. said...

In Florida I had 2 Myer Lemon trees and several orange trees. I loved them. I would pull off 2 lemons everyday and make the best glass of lemonaide. It was wonderful.

Pyrofish said...

This looks tasty! I may try this this week after a trip to the farmer's market. I bought some asparagus last weekend, but I decided to try my hand at pickling it instead of cooking it. Turned out great BTW. I'll be pickling several pounds this weekend to put away for later, as I ate almost all that I did on Friday :-)

This definitely looks like a side for later this week!

milkshake said...

"Indeed, to me a wood without pigs is like a ballroom without women"

(James Buchan: My Hogs)

Grace said...

I love how it feels like "oh, i still gots some asparagus- i'll make another asparagus dish for everyone :D!"
instead of "i practiced this in a test kitchen a million times and it looks easy (because i've been cooking for 60 years) but i know it's way too hard for the audience to do- MWAHAHAHAHA-"
sorry.
Ijust adore the simplicity :) thanks again!

Scott - Boston said...

I agree. I love this kind of thing. It looks great, simple, and tasty (no joke!).

Looks destined to be a favorite of mine. I can imagine my kids really loving it, all the while cursing your name to the ends of the Earth.

Scott - Boston

Chris K. said...

Relevant Harold McGee column in the NYT dining section:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/06/dining/06curi.html?_r=1&ref=dining

I made the asparagus pie last week. Quite tasty.

Anonymous said...

I just did this and it is great - as always: I enjoyed! Thanks Chef John

Mike said...

I made this as a side for dinner. Absolutely delicious, gotta try some parmesan sprinkled over them some time. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed it as well. Great for beginners!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful essay on "if I had a farm".

Another wonderful recipe - thank you Chef John for sharing. You are the

(Please see my food wish of Tres Leches Cake) That would go good with the ham & asparagus.

I also make a stove top green beans with ham, mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup and shredded cheddar cheese with almonds sprinked on top that is good.

C.

Daisy said...

I like how simple this recipe is =D

Mine turned out reasonably well, despite the stalks being almost 2 cm in diameter.

By the way, you forgot the 1/4 cup of water in the ingredients list.