Sunday, June 30, 2013

Not the Same Old 4th of July Side Dishes

We'll assume you have all the main courses figured out for your 4th of July cookout (if not, we can help), but just in case you're still looking for some side dishes, here are a few out of the ordinary ideas that should work beautifully. Just click the caption link to see the post and video. Enjoy!

Cold Broccoli Salad


Peach and Escarole Salad


Apple Jicama Coleslaw


Boston Baked Beans


Succotash Salad


Pickled Grilled Vegetables


4 comments:

sfgiantsfreak55 said...

Hey Chef John, these all look like awesome summer side dishes! I have a question for you:

I've used your cold broccoli salad recipe many times (it's so good) and I like the dressing so much, I just made a double batch of it and stored it in a squeeze bottle for salads. Well, a few days later, I'm remembering what I've heard about the risk of botulism developing when you store garlic in oil. Is there enough acidity in the dressing (from the lemon juice and vinegar) to make this a non-issue? How long do you think it's safe to store the dressing in the fridge?

Thanks so much for your help! Hope you have a delicious 4th of July.

Chef John said...

I think that's from garlic oils, but I can't say for sure. I've never heard of someone getting botulism from a salad dressing that's been on the fridge for a few days.

Chibby said...

I made the succotash salad and your waldorf for our Canada Day BBQ and they were really big hits.Thanks for all the hard work you do and enjoy your 4th!!

tree said...

Oh, your recipes look delicious! I am going to try the no-bake cheesecake for all my sugar-lovin' friends this weekend! Thanks!