Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sufferin' Succotash Salad

I've been looking for a tasty way to show off this ultra-fast and easy barbecue sauce vinaigrette idea, and this almost raw succotash salad proved to be a perfect vehicle. And to think, I almost ruined it by doing it the right way.

Originally, I was going to grill the corn first, and then slice the cooked kernels into the salad. As I started to prep, I took a little nibble off the end of the ear, and it was so sweet and juicy that I decided to change the plan, and go au natural.

Thanks to the sweet, starchy crunch of the raw corn, the combination of tastes and textures in this salad is outstanding. Sure, you could certainly add more than the four ingredients called for here, but I'm wondering if that would really make this any more perfect.

This succotash salad is great for those occasions when you need to bring a side dish to the company picnic, or family reunion, and want to arrive with something that looks like you put in a lot more effort into it than you actually did.

As you'll see in the clip, the dressing could not be simpler, but will rely on a quality barbecue sauce to bring everything together. I used my wife Michele's famous SFQ sauce, but your favorite barbecue sauce should work out as well (assuming it's deeply-flavored, complex, and kind of spicy).

Anyway, this may not be the most exciting, or visually thrilling thing we've made around here, but what it lacks in aesthetic charm, it more than makes up for in everything else. I hope you give it a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients:
2 ears fresh sweet corn
1 large red bell pepper, small dice
4 green onions, chopped fine
1 can white beans, rinsed, drained
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Dressing:
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

View the complete recipe

21 comments:

Bob said...

nice!! may i add some tuna and have a proper lunch? greetings from Greece !

TheSweetestVegan said...

This is so pretty and colorful!

EZ Gluten Free said...

That salad looks like a nice change of pace from the average fare.

Johnny B said...

Looks amazing, I wonder if it would be too much of a deviation to use black beans instead?

Birder said...

Exactly perfect. The right simplicity + a break from all that meat consumption. Huzzah and thanks!

Chris K. said...

If you can find it, there's a bicolor sweet corn hybrid called Peaches & Cream. It's unbelievably sweet and juicy, and would be perfect for this dish.

Anonymous said...

Not only was this dish an excellent addition to grilled chicken and roasted cauliflower...it gave me an excuse to quote Sylvester and all his "sufferin succotash" glory. Very nice recipe, Chef John.

Jesse from Detroit said...

Have I told you... lately... that I love you, Chef John?

Kyith said...

hi love your blog but hope that you can post more vegetarian friendly cuisine haha

Brad in BBQ country said...

I found your blog about a month ago, and it was the greatest thing to happen to me, culinarily speaking, in years. And dutifully, I've been spreading the word. Not much for posting comments, but just wanted to say thanks!

redforever said...

This was a great recipe. I never had white beans around so used some black eyed peas. I also added a clove of minced garlic.

We really liked it. Thx.

Jason P. said...

I came (to this website), I saw (this recipe), I conquered (my picky pallette). This was pretty darn tasty. Can't wait to share this recipe with others. They'll think I'm a cook or something.

Pam Maher said...

Made this on Tuesday (using SFQ sauce -- man, oh man, is that stuff GOOD!); served it on Wednesday; verdict from picky-eater husband: "This is a hit!" The two of us consumed the entire batch in one sitting. Thank goodness beans are good for your heart... ;)

Thanks for all the great recipes, Chef John. And thanks to Michele for proucing such a dynamite BBQ sauce!

Chef John said...

Thanks! I'll pass along to Michele!

Melanie said...

I put cilantro in it, it came out sooo yummy!

GG said...

Chef John,

Love this mixture of ingredients. However, I keep forgetting that I don't like bbq sauce, which I only eat it once a year. The next time I make this recipe, I will make a balsamic vinaigrette instead.

Gsweb8 said...

Winner, winner succotash with dinner! This stuff is so good I eat it like its a bowl of cereal. Chef John... YOU 'da MAN!

Anonymous said...

I made the Sufferin Succatash Corn Salad for a pot luck dinner. We LOVED it. I am making it again for a family birthday dinner. Thanks for a GREAT easy recipe.

Anonymous said...

Aim I going to Hell if I use limas?

angst said...

Could I use Cannellini beans instead of white beans?

angst said...

Could I use cannellini beans in place of white beans