Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Colcannon Hash – I Invented This, As Did Others Before Me

Every year about this time, I try to do some kind of culinary nod to St. Patrick’s Day, and this colcannon hash is the latest example. I really loved how this came out, and it made a beautiful, and delicious base for poached eggs, but there was one problem. Apparently, I didn’t invent this.

I thought I did, as I do with almost all the new recipes I create, but I figured I’d do a search anyway, just to confirm this assumption of singular brilliance. So I did, and it quickly became apparent that many others had the very same idea. Good for them.

I realize St. Patrick’s Day brunch isn’t really a thing, but if it were, this would be perfect. Although, we might have some leftover corned beef the day after, which would make this even more amazing; so maybe we should forget St. Paddy’s Day breakfast, and turn this into a hearty, day-after hangover cure instead. Either way, I really do hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 2 large portions:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 ounces pancetta or bacon, diced
2 large russet potatoes, diced, rinsed, and well-drained
1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup sliced green onions (mostly the white and lighter green parts)
2 large handfuls baby kale, roughly chopped
1/4 cup freshly grated sharp Irish cheddar cheese (or any sharp cheddar)
pinch of cayenne
2 tablespoons freshly chopped Italian parsley 
2 or 4 poached eggs, optional (actually, not optional)

12 comments:

Patrick said...

C'mon chef... It's St. Paddy's, not St. Patty's.!!!

(Or were you referring to his sister.??)

Chris said...

YOU DRIPPED YOLK ON THE TABLE. TAKING AWAY THE PLACEMAT WAS A HUGE MISTAKE. REDO THE ENTIRE VIDEO.

Karen Huang said...

Hi Chef John, Can you tell me what type of cutting board you use in this video?

Rotten194 said...

Love your stuff Chef John. Out of curiosity, are you planning to do another sous vide video? I know you did one in 2011 but it'd be cool to see an updated one.

Lutheran Girl said...

I tried it this morning, and it really is wonderful!

Kennapop3 said...

I'll have to practice this a few times before I serve it to my wife. Just to be sure I want to share it, or just cook it on those rare weekends when we miss breakfast together.

Forcasted Food said...

What size skillet is that? 12in?

Karen said...

I made this for the worship team breakfast at church and it was well received! I used the kale off my tower garden. A great way to slip in those greens at breakfast. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Love this one. Made it somewhat lower in Calories and carbs by switching out the potato for rutabaga. Family loves it!

Unknown said...

Another winner Chef Jon!! I made this on Sunday for breakfast and it was just perfect.
I did do the sub for bacon since I had some on hand and leeks instead of green onion because I much prefer the flavour. The only other thing I did differently was use a sharp sheep cheese since I had some in the fridge. So so so good.


Simple to make and I will definitely make again.

Boyd said...

I wish there was a simple write-up of this recipe for people who can't use video recipes, because it looks really good and I can't find any other recipes quite like it. 😕

Abdallah said...

Curious about something -- what's a good non-pork substitute for Pancetta? I was thinking duck bacon or something but everyone I've asked says it's not a good analog. I really want to make this as a meat side to brunch but I don't eat pork!