Friday, July 1, 2016

Cantaloupe Cayenne Sorbet – Hot and Cold

I think this is the first video in the history of Food Wishes to contain the word “Cayenne” in the title, and we have Humphry Slocombe to thank for that.

Humphry Slocombe is one of San Francisco’s top ice cream makers, and certainly its most creative; so when I saw something called, “Cantaloupe Cayenne Sorbet,” on their menu board, I knew I had to get the recipe.

My plan was to find out where their employees drink after work, buy a few rounds of shots (Jagermeister, of course), and somehow get it out of one of them. Unfortunately, I discovered the recipe had been published all over the Internet, so I never did get to do the shots thing, but the point is I found the recipe.

The vodka in this is optional, but I think it makes for a better sorbet. As anyone who has a bottle in the freezer can tell you, vodka doesn’t freeze like water does, so it helps create a smoother texture, or so they say. And by “they,” I mean Alton Brown, who was first person I saw do this. Whether you use the booze or not, I really hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Makes just over a quart of Cantaloupe Cayenne Sorbet:
*Recipe slightly adapted from one found in Humphry Slocombe Ice Cream Book 
1 1/2 pounds peeled, seeded cantaloupe or any sweet, ripe melon (about 4 1/2 cups packed)
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons vodka
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (this was pretty spicy, so add less if you’re scared)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a lot of sugar.

Unknown said...

That is a lot of sugar.

Kennapop3 said...

I saw this last night, and waited until this morning
when the recipe had been posted. I will check your
Blog to see if you identify the spiced rice wine.
I will wait for that perfect Cantaloupe and then
surprise my wife. I will have to make a second batch,as
I share your fondness for cayenne.

Unknown said...

If I am too young to drink vodka what can I use instead

Alicia said...

I can't wait to make this! Sounds so refreshing especially when it's over 100 degrees here today! Went to the store and bought the seasoned rice vinegar and forgot limes, cantaloupe and vodka! Basically everything!

dlesage said...

Thumbs up for the Alton Brown reference. Can't wait to try this.

April2006 said...

Could you please, please, please do a Samosa video!??! I know that's super random considering the is a sorbet video, but I had a random craving. Lol.

Gdegas said...

Hey chef John, thanks for all the great recipes your awesome. What type of spatula do you use it looks really useful, the white silicone spoon shaped one with the metal rod. Is there somewhere where i can find it or who makes it?

Shilag said...

I tried this out, but when I put it in the ice cream machine it just.. didn't do anything. I left the cooling section in the freezer for about 20 hours beforehand, and let it run for 30 minutes or more, and just.. nothing. Still complete sludge. What's going on here?

LuKasAV6 said...

I respectfully retract the shade I threw on this sorbet. It is absolutely incredible - in fact, one of my favorites! I used Marukan's Sweet & Tangy rice vinegar for a little extra flavor.

Steve Kennedy said...

Wow! That's a lot of sugar.
:)

Unknown said...

I like to call this "Fire and Ice"

Gsweb8 said...

Can I substitute apple cider vinegar for the seasoned rice wine vinegar?

Unknown said...

So, I looked everywhere for “Seasoned rice WINE vinegar.” And learned it doesn’t exist. Please update the ingredients.