Thursday, May 31, 2007

Scrambled Eggs – This is still a test…a soft, creamy, delicious test

Well, I’m still testing, and learning, and fumbling around with the new A/V equipment and software, but at least you can see an actual edible recipe during this experiment. I decided to do some very basic scrambled eggs.

First of all, my sister-in-law Nina requested an eggs demo, and secondly I wanted to see how much better quality the quicker stirring motions would come out verses the old camera. So, this is still officially a test video, so go easy on the comments… I’m getting a real microphone today, and still don’t have Photoshop on the new MacBook to do any decent screen shots with. Anyway, enough excuses, on to the recipe.

I’ve heard Chef Gordon Ramsey say that when he wants to test a young cook’s skills, he has them scramble a couple eggs. He wants to see if they are going to produce a plate of rubbery yellow clumps, or a smooth, creamy, custard-like delicacy. Today’s clip will hopefully show you how to produce the later. Speaking of Chef Ramsey, I’ve included his scrambled egg video recipe below mine. He goes into much more detail than I do (hey, I said this is just a test), so check that clip out also. It’s from a series he did a while back, and he’s quite different from the screaming maniac that you see on Hell’s Kitchen. There he is paid good money to curse and make people cry. On his “real” cooking shows from the BBC, he is a very good teacher and well worth watching.

A few key points before you watch; do not beat your eggs, do not salt the eggs until their cooked, and do not cook on high heat. If you’re going to add cheese, do it near the end when you add the butter. The rest of the tips you can catch while you view the clip. Oh, and serve on a warm plate!!

For larger groups you’ll need a larger pan of course, but the same technique will work; it will just take a bit longer. Also, make sure you have some heat-proof silicone spatulas around. As Alton Brown might say, “melted rubber is not good eats!” Enjoy.



Ingredients:
2 large eggs
salt and pepper
2 tsp butter
fresh chives

Chef Gordon Ramsey’s Version

21 comments:

Chef John said...

Let me save you the trouble... YES, i'll move the tripod so my sleave and hands arent blocking every key shot!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
hkfreak said...

"... and give it to her in bed...."
Alright, who needs condoms?
"...the breakfast."
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

and

The Graphics are great, but only in small mode. It gets pixel-ly in large mode. No less, the actually cooking is less blurry in general.

Chef John said...

yes, if you mean full screen, yes it will still be pixelated... the file sizes would just be too big. i assume most viewers just watch at regular size..i hope. thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'd say that the equipment is alright. And these scrambled eggs remind me of my grandmothers but she didn't even use butter or seasonings and somehow they tasted like heaven!By the way since when did you decide to have background music. It kinda seems like you want to have your own show on food network, which is okay with me. But it's like a show that combine Alton Brown(directions and intro), and Giada De Laurentiis(Background music). MMMMmmmmmmm.....eggs!

Chef John said...

I'm just testing all the buttons. Im not sure Im going to have music. Maybe I'll just bust freestyle at the end! maybe some old school beat box, like that dude on American Idol.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm! those two videos are great. I always wondered how to make those fluffy, not-rubbery scrambled eggs.

Cheers

Zero Dragon said...

Hey, As always a simple dish presented in the right way makes a very tastefully cuisine piece of art. A very fluffy piece of art.

The idea of a show sounds cool hehe

Anonymous said...

Yeah i loved the videos as well great blog all around

Anonymous said...

I'll give this a try.. EVEN THOUGH.. I NEVER cook eggs in butter.. blechhh. Like butter on the toast and eggs in bacon grease. AND creamy eggs.. hmm..like em dry.. I'll still give this a shot tho..hmm

good quality vid

Anonymous said...

hi,

the recipes are really very delicious and the dish is very attractive in appearance....

cheers
suma valluru
----------------------
http://www.food-giftbasket.org

Harry Tuttle said...

OMG! Your method makes the best scrambled eggs I've ever had by far! They have so much more flavor. I didn't think I'd care for the smooth texture, but I was SOOO wrong. In fact I've tried adding a bit of sour cream at the end as well. They were amazing. Thanks Chef John

Btw, how long before your online classes are available? I love your blog, keep up the great work.

Blood Red Roses said...

When I first saw this post I honestly was put off by the way the eggs looked. One morning I decided to try it and even had chives on hand! I was amazed at how this cooked. I had no idea eggs could take on this texture!

I spooned the eggs onto a high quality Jewish rye toast and it was divine! I love to top toast with all sorts of strange things (sour cream, apple butter, honey) but this had the best texture. I loved the flavor since the oil and seasonings were throughout the egg. I think I like contrasting textures too. Thanks!!

Chef John said...

there are 2 kinds of people in the world... soft scramble lovers and everyone else

Seraphima said...

Hi Chef John! I'm a college student in my early twenties and a faithful viewer of your youtube contributions (I make it to the site now and then, too!). I would say I'm your typical college eater, lots of fast food and pre-packaged food. But one day I hope to have a home and a family and I want to be able to cook for them! And there's no time to learn like the present.

This is the first of your recipes that I tried (and my cooking experience up to now was frying bacon and making grilled cheese) and it turned out perfectly! I had never tasted eggs so good. So, from a beginning cook, thank you!! And keep 'em coming!!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this great video...i been eating eggs for 4 days now..hahahaha... but LOVE IT so much. Thanks again!!!!! Hellen

worldwidestew said...

I don't like mushy eggs. But, after trying these this morning, I was duly impressed with the contrast you pointed out: raw is not custardy. These were delicious and custardy... MMM

1Bigg_ER said...

Sometimes I get really lazy to make dinner and make these scrambled eggs with a touch of heavy cream at the very end, a little cheddar and dump on rice!!

McShine said...

Chef John, you're a genius. I didn't plan on making scrambled eggs today, but it was sunday (which in Germany means that all stores are closed) and I had forgotten to buy anything to eat, so scrambled eggs was one of the few options I had. So I thought to myself "I wonder if Chef John ever posted a recipe on that". Well, you did. And now I don't think I'll ever make scrambled eggs the "usual" way ever again, cause this is just sooo much better! I never knew eggs could take on this kind of consistency. I used frozen herbs because I didn't have fresh chives, and I used a wooden spatula since my silicone one broke a little while ago. Still turned out amazing! Thanks Chef John for another valuable lesson in cooking!

Unknown said...

I WILL NEVER MAKE SCRAMBLED EGGS ANOTHER WAY EVER AGAIN.

Sorry about that - but I don't like eggs all that much, so the CAPS was warranted. Also, strangely, I have been experiencing "pregnant woman like" cravings for eggs over the past year, as if my body is telling me despite my taste buds not really liking them, I NEED them. So thanks for providing me with a recipe that I genuinely enjoy. Next, I'll be trying your egg salad (you make egg salad, right? I'm sure ya do. I'll find it.)

Thanks Chef John!

Lizmari said...

Chef John, I know this is an older post... but I'd like to thank you for making these eggs. I've always tried to make Chef Ramsey's eggs, but I never found his explanation to be easy enough? I like yours better. I now feel confident I can achieve this dish, and not have to guess a lot.

Thanks!