Friday, January 23, 2009

Some Foodwishers Ciabatta Success Stories

The first photo is from Silvia who said, "I made your no knead ciabatta bread and loved it. It turned out really nice and the flavor was so much better than shop bread. It's so easy to make that we will have fresh ciabatta bread all the time now!"


The second loaf is from "first time bread maker" who said, " What a mess I've got going here! My raw loaf looks like a patched wall. While it's "resting" during these next the two hours, I'm hoping it heals itself so the patched marks aren't so evident, and although it's before noon, I think I'll have a glass of wine. I'm a nervous wreck. (more of my disastrous results to follow...) Maybe I'll send you a picture of the results. Maybe not.

The last loaf is from Calvin who said, "I am absolutely happy with its outcome. I did have a water plate in the oven and spray some water at the beginning of baking. Somehow, mine only took about 30 minutes and I have to keep lowering the temp a bit.


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like Silvia and "first time" both did a fine job!

Anonymous said...

cool ^_^ I made some bread and took some pics too ... how do I send them to you ??

Chef John said...

just use "contact us"

Unknown said...

Mine came out beautifully. I am going to send you mine as well.

Whistle Britches said...

mine will be finished tomorrow.
i'll let you know how it goes!

Unknown said...

chef john, do you think its possible to allow the dough to rise for 18 hrs, rest for two and then freeze for later use?

Chef John said...

yes, but freeze after you punch down the dough after the 18 hrs. Then when it thaws you can shape into loaves and let rise to double.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

I came out with less than spectacular results, unfortunately. It tasted all right, but the bottom of the bread was too moist.

Will blog about it later this week.

Chef John said...

sorry to hear that! Keep trying! Also, you better not blame my great recipe. ;)

Chris K. said...

Hi Chef John! I'm not a very good baker, but you convinced me to try this recipe out. Guess what? The best bread I have ever made! It even scored me some sweet sweet lovin'.

How you doin'?

Connie T. said...

I made some and it tastes good. I sent you a picture of it. Each person's each looks different. Mine does too. I will put it on my blog too.

Chef John said...

it looked great. was that wheat? and why double the yeast?

Jakebane said...

If anyone is wondering, if you let it rise the 18 hours, punch it down, and then go to the bar for 5 hours (whoops), your bread will be fine. It will not be ciabatta style bread, but a flatter english muffin style bread that is also very delicious.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chef John,

Second try and still a failure. It is so simple how can I miss? My bread is flat like a pizza. Maybe too much water?

Everything looks fine at all steps. Even after 18 hours, it looks bubbly and sticky like in the video. After turning it again and again, it looks a bit wet. When I put it on the saran wrap (with flour on it) it is so mushy, sticky and wet that I am barely able to strech it. It sticks to everything. When it is time to flip it, it even sticks to the saran wrap. After 2 hours in the pan, it is still flat. Very flat, but it has doubled. In the oven, it doubles (mayby) in height, but the bread is less than a inch thick. The crust is nice. The inside looks perfect except it looks a bit wet.

I use bread flour. I measure as carefully as when I do bread in my bread machine. My water is warm. Yeast is fresh from the store. I use yeast for bread machine. I am missing something.

Please help. I am a fan of Ciabatta. Thanks. Pascal.

Chef John said...

it sounds too wet. Add more flour and see if that's the trick.

Scott said...

I made this bread last night and it never really rose in the oven. Don't get me wrong.. the bread tastes great but barely and vertical rise. Could this be older yeast?

Thanks!