Tuesday, March 9, 2010

If You’re a Bachelor, and Don't Want to Get Married, DO NOT Enter a House with Potato and Kale Stained Socks on the Door Handle!

Colcannon is a recipe I've wanted to do a video on for a long time. It's a super simple, but delicious Irish comfort food that would be a great side dish choice for any St. Patrick's Day menu.

I'm not sure when I'm going to have time to do my take on this, but
in the meantime here's a video from my friend, and About.com's British & Irish Food Guide, Elaine Lemm. Elaine is a very talented cook and writer, and her site on About is filled with wonderful recipes.

According t
o Elaine, back in the day Colcannon was used to predict marriages on Halloween. Apparently small charms were added to the Colcannon and whichever unmarried girl found one would place socks, some Colcannon, and the charms on their front door handle. The first man to enter the house was their future husband. Sounds like a great system. Enjoy!

Photo (c) RFB Photography

7 comments:

Mike said...

I believe once you add that much butter to something it can make anything taste good. :)

Susanna said...

She has asbestos hands.

BillW, NH said...

I have the same colander this nice woman has, is it because I'm of Irish descent? Sounds good and easy, will make it one day soon.

Unknown said...

If I have no food processor (and can't spare cash to get one at the moment) am I better off tackling the kale and scallions with a knife or using a blender?

Chef John said...

a knife works fine! (that what I use)

Lorenz said...

It seems as though that's a ton of scallions, I would probably caramelize them in butter before I throw them in, otherwise it seems like the onion flavor would overpower the whole dish and taste like a supermarket potato salad. I don't know, I'll experiment with it.

philogaia said...

I made this recipe though I did briefly saute the scallions (only modification.) I can only say it is the undisputed food of the old Irish Gods. Wow. I'd rather have this than chocolate, which is saying a lot.