Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Peach Brulee Burrata Bruschetta – What a Great Way to Waste a Peach!

Whenever I make anything with a fresh peach – like this lovely peach brulee burrata bruschetta – I always get the feeling that I'm somehow wasting the fruit. The sheer perfection of a sweet, ripe peach eaten as is, makes using it in a recipe seem almost ridiculous.

Well, if you are going to "waste" a fresh, ripe peach, this little late-summer snack is a great way to go. Besides, this recipe is a creation of my wife Michele, so you know it's going to be great.

A slice of toas
t with a schmear of burrata is already a beautiful thing, but when you add a nice pinch of Herbes de Provence salt, then a slice of peach brulee, you are talking about a whole other level of beautiful.
As I explain in the video, the burnt sugar crust will not stay crispy very long, but the incredibly complex, caramelized peach syrup it creates on the slice's surface is so wonderful, you'll really not care. By the way, be sure you buy "freestone" peaches, not "clingstone," otherwise by the time you get the stone out, you'll basically be left with a small puddle of peach puree.

This is one of those recipes that's halfway between sweet and savory, and that's a place I love to be. This is perfect for any kind of entertaining that occurs while fresh peaches are still in season. Also, if you can swing it, you get extra credit for toasting your bread over a smoky, charcoal grill, in true bruschetta style.

Speaking of "bruschetta," in case some of you were wondering, yes I do know how to pronounce it correctly (like that adorable Giada De Laurentiis), I just choose not to. Enjoy!




Peach Brulee Burrata Bruschetta Ingredients:
1 large freestone peach, cut in about 12 slices
6 oz burrata cheese
Herbes de Provence and sea salt to taste
about 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, or "Sugar in the Raw" or regular white granulated sugar
12 pieces of toasted or grilled Italian bread


View the complete recipe

13 comments:

David said...

Hey Chef John, was that another new knife? It looked nice! As did the recipe!

Chef John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chef John said...

no, it was just an old paring knife

Chef John said...

and thanks!!

Anonymous said...

nice snack! Thanks for the idea. How is the Next Foodnetwork Star thing progressing? I can't wait to see you on the big screen.

Jeff said...

Nice idea as usual! Do you use lighting in your videos? It always looks so bright.

jeff

mmaier2112 said...

Hi Chef John. What's a good substitute for the Burrata cheese if you cannot find it? The best gourmet shop I know of doesn't carry it.

Chef John said...

the softest, freshest mozzarella u can get!

Jesse from Detroit said...

I love all these peach recipes... You've got some really surprisingly delightful combinations of flavors and textures in here. Can't wait to try this one tonight!

Jesse from Detroit said...

Had to go with Mozzarella. Leslie LOVED this recipe!

Unknown said...

Yum! For some reason I hardly ever use fruit in Appetizer Recipes. I really don't know why but I like this recipe and I think I am going to have to give it a shot. I work with Better Recipes so I am always look throw recipes and I love finding one that surprise me to try something new.

Jessica said...

hey chef john, not tryin to be a pickey-watever-snotty-nose thing, but my family used to live in itali, and it is acctually pronounced brew-sket-ah. don't spell it like that, or you will get sent back to pre-school, lolz, love your stuff!!!! thanks!

Kitchen Benchtops said...

Pretty appetizers! This sounds like a great recipe to try. Mmm!