Monday, January 28, 2013

Baked Crab and Artichoke Dip – A Snack So Nice, You Finish it Twice

Nothing says, “this party rocks” like a creamy, cheesy, baked dip, and when you’re talking about a hot crab and artichoke dip, people have been known to put an extra choice word or two before “rocks.” If only there were a big event coming up soon to test this theory.

Not only is this additive dip easy to make, it works with any budget. You can load it up with the finest fresh crab, use frozen or pasteurized lump crab meat, or even canned in a pinch. By the way, (and off the record) I’ve had these made with fake crab, and it wasn’t bad at all.

While the loaf of bread base does make for a nice presentation, not to mention recycled after party snack food, you can simply bake this in a casserole dish as well. As I mentioned in the video, I had a little extra leftover, and if this happens to you, give it a try as a stuffing for ravioli, wontons, or other dumpling-like delivery systems.

No matter which team they’re rooting for, all your guests will be cheering for more of this delicious baked dip. By the way, nothing beats watching your friends play tug-o-war with the crust once the dip is gone. I hope you give it a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 12 portions of Baked Crab and Artichoke Dip:
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped green onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh chopped tarragon leaves
zest and juice from 1 lemon
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
cayenne to taste
1 pound lump crab meat, drained
1 (14-oz) can artichoke bottoms
6 oz white Cheddar cheese, divided
1 large round or oval loaf sourdough bread
About 30 min at 375 degrees F.

19 comments:

Dano said...

This looks DELICIOUS Chef John! I'd love to try it.

This is similar to your previous artichoke dip recipe, which while delicious, omitted the mayo and cream cheese.

That other recipe also had spinach and nutmeg in it, but this one doesn't. Would it be okay to add them to this masterpiece, or were they left out for a reason?

Rita said...

oh, wow! being up at 04:00, right now, and seeing this is not fair! there's just no justice. AHAHAHAHA!

Chef John said...

You can add whatever you like!! The nutmeg pairs well with spinach, so didn't think to add here.

These lil' Peaches said...

I really wanted to listen to you tap that crust.

These lil' Peaches said...

i really wanted to listen to you tap that crust.

Ton Teezy said...

Hi Chef!

Can I find artichoke bottoms at my local grocery store? Thanks.

Unknown said...

I have an aversion to mayo/miracle whip. Could I substitute or use more sour cream or cream cheese?

Chef John said...

Hard for me to tell. Is there a way you can check directly with your local store? ;)

Heather Chachula said...

I'm having girls night next weekend at my house, so this seems like the best thing to me. :-) Thanks once again Chef John for all your amazing recipes. :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

Cayenne? No way! OLD BAY all day. (haha that rhymes. Unintentional. Maybe.)

Zombie said...

Thank you. I made this for the super bowl party I was invited to and it was a smashing success. I was asked for the recipe frequently. I made a lot of friends who now want me to cook for them. Thank you. I had a great time and was in part to the food I made from your recipe.

Cheers

Unknown said...

Where is the Old Bay?

... or is that only a Maryland thing?

Bret said...

Hi Chef,

Can I use the bread bowl method with the artichoke and spinach dip?

Thanks,
Bret

Unknown said...

Great recipe. I made this and everyone love it. Thank you Chef John.

Here is my version. :)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3776/9164889051_3d68859f40_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3807/9164893071_536616960b_c.jpg

pkHUH said...

Hello Chef John,

Love the recipes, love the youtube channel. Can't wait to try out everything.

I'm going to make this dip for Thanksgiving and I'm wondering if I can make the filling the night before and bake the next day.

Thanks for all the help!

Gretchen said...

Made this last night, used Kaiser rolls (couldn't find ciabatta, no time to bake one) and made small bowls, enough for two people (unless you're my husband). I used the fake crab and that worked perfectly! Did not use mayo, not crazy about hot mayo. My only issue really was with the amount of lemon. I used a meyer lemon from my tree, squeezed only a small piece, but of course, my meyer lemons seem to hold a ton of juice. I say all of this only because I think one should probably "juice to taste". It was still a HUGE hit though. Only two drunk people at a time fighting over the bread bowl. Since I made them, well...and I was sober. Thanks for that great recipe. I was hailed as the true Super Bowl MVP (until Left Shark came along. Grrrr)

Ken said...

Can I make the mix the night before, refrigerate it, and cook it the next day?

Spacewaffle said...

Great recipe. Worth spending money on real lump crab.
tarragon works well here I feel as well. Dill would be good too.
I used a Tuscan style loaf with great egg wash like shell. it was amazingly crusty. crust is to die for.
this dip is a bit tangy with worcestershire sauce and sour cream can do a bit less if you don't like the tang.
all and all great stuff thanks chef john!