Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Friendly Barbecue Chicken Reminder

I saw some almost completely black barbecue chicken recently, which is such a shame, since it's so easily avoided. This happens when people brush on their usually sweet bbq sauce too early, which quickly burns as soon as it's turned towards the hot coals. 

Some believe the solution is only brushing on the sauce during the last few minutes, but that doesn't allow enough time for the flavors to penetrate and pick up the desired smokiness. There has to be a better way!! There is, keep reading.

The video below shows my preferred method for having your barbecue chicken and being able to eat it too. If there's a time of the year to tighten up your chicken barbecuing game, it's right now. To read the full post, and get the ingredients, click here. Enjoy!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Does the skin get crispy when you do this or does it keep that chewy/rubbery texture that some cooked chicken has?

Chef John said...

Not crispy, but not rubbery either.

Unknown said...

Well, i think the barbecue is going to be crispy as long as you put on the sauce, i suggest some great oyster sauce.

rancholyn said...

I made this last night...not changing the recipe at all. It was delicious! My husband said it was the best barbecue chicken he's ever eaten.. (even better than Tony Romas). Thanks for another winner....

rancholyn said...

I made this last night...not changing a thing...It came out delicious and perfect. My husband said it was the best barbecue chicken he's ever tasted...even better than Tony Romas. Thanks again for another winner,,,

Eric B. said...

Now we need your technique to bbq boneless skinless chicken breast! Thanks

Unknown said...

You sound sad in this video, though the chicken looks amazing. I hope everything is ok :) your cheery videos always make my day!

Lisa said...

My husband and I LOVE this recipe! He was scared to barbecue chicken over charcoal, until I had him watch this video. He had to review it several more times, and now he begs for it for dinner! I was just wondering, is it ok to marinade it for longer than an hour? If so, what is the max time you would recommend? (I was hoping to marinade it while at work).

Chef John said...

Yes, you can let it marinate while you're at work. Not sure about the maximum time, but eight hours would not be a problem I don't think. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Hi,
Thanks for your recipe,
What is the powder? And can I put it inside the oven?

Unknown said...

Does the same directions apply when using a gas grill?

Sally said...

Chef - I thought you might like to see a little Smile Box video I did a few years ago of the guys cooking 250 chicken halves.

http://dart1121.blogspot.com/2008/09/sts-peter-paul-fall-carnival.html

(Looks like it didn't come up as a link...sorry about that :( )