Friday, July 26, 2013

Hot Wheels Pasta – Your Taste Buds Will Be Rollin on Dubs

It only happens once every couple years or so, but sometimes I’ll think of the name of a recipe before I actually have the recipe. This summery, hot wheels pasta is one such dish. Not sure how “hot wheels” popped into my brain, but pop it did, and the next thing I knew I was at the market buying a box of rotelle.

So the “wheels” part was easy, but what about the “hot?” Just as easy, thanks to an assortment of hot and sweet pepper rings. I used about two-thirds hot peppers to one-third sweet, but you’ll obviously adjust to your personal tolerance. The zucchini provided a nice balance, although this is the kind of pasta that will accept any and all other summer veggies.

Besides what to add, you also have a lot of flexibility when it comes to the final taste and texture. I tend to like my peppers and squash just barely tender for this, but if you cook the sauce a few extra minutes before adding the pasta, you will get a softer, sweeter sauce. My version was a little more bracing, with some bite left to it.

On the other hand, you could cook everything even less, and have what would basically be a hot pasta and vegetable salad. Regardless, no matter what you add, or how long you cook it, I hope you’ll be driven to try this great recipe soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 4 portions:
2 generous cups dry rotelle pasta
2 zucchini, sliced
2 to 3 cups of sliced pepper rings, seeded
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup green onion
1 anchovy filet
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups prepared tomato sauce (use a pinch of sugar if sauce needs it)
3/4 cup chicken stock
Italian parsley
grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

View the complete recipe

14 comments:

Clarmindcontrol said...

As delicious as the pasta looked, I still was sort of disappointed the recipe didn't include instructions on how to make that cool cherry tomato red hot rod you teased us with.

Inquiring minds want to know: what did you use for Spring Onion head's mouth and how did you get his pepper corn eyes to stick?

J-Clarke said...

Love your videos on YouTube. Have to try this.

Amberdawn2382 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amberdawn2382 said...

Gonna have to follow better directions next time and use the actual "prepared tomato sauce." Used a store bought brand as a short cut and it came out very watery :( Bummer

mmarieh2 said...

Great recipe!

capn_entropy said...

We'll never tire of you car puns, sir.

BenBarefoot said...

Hey Chef John, is it possible to use Italian sausage? Not just because of its wheel shape, but because it has some saltiness (I really don't want to buy a whole thing of anchovies to use 1 [and my girlfriend is freaked out by anchovies {and my girlfriend is all about sausage for some reason}]). What kinda wine would I drink with this?

P.S. Fish Tacos, Bro!!!

Chef John said...

Of course you can add sausage! You're the boss your dinner! ;) I would drink a cheap red Italian table wine with it.

Cristopher said...

My picky-eater five-year-old declares this delicious! I added some yellow squash (from the small end), and we talked about what other round things we could add while eating: sausage, calamari rings, hot dogs (not gonna try that), small onion rings.
Two little-boy thumbs up on your latest creation!

Unknown said...

Is there a good substitute for the anchovy? My friend is a vegetarian and I'm not big on cooking a beautiful meal just for myself. Anything creative you would recommend, Chef John?

Chef John said...

Juts leave it out and adjust with a little extra salt to taste.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sorry for double post
But what is the diameter of your pan, rather? ^^

George said...

This looks WHEEL good