Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Potato & Parsnip Gratin – Less Parsnips is More Parsnips

Parsnips are a nutritious, uniquely delicious root vegetable, which we should all be enjoying on a much more regular basis, but I think I know the reason why we don’t. The problem with parsnips is that they taste too much like parsnips.

The earthy taste and licorice nose is almost too much when served in their pure form, but when mixed and mellowed in something like this classic potato gratin, you get a much more user-friendly way to enjoy this cheap and easy to find root. Of course, I'm sure the low-carb folks would argue, but that's only because they're irritable from the no carbs.

By the way, you can also use this same exact technique for other subterranean treats like turnips, rutabagas, and celery root. As I said in the video, while this makes a fine side dish to almost anything, it’s also a stellar brunch potato for those occasions when hash browns just don’t seem cool enough. For that, and many other reasons, I really hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 6 portions Potato Parsnip Gratin:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp melted butter
3 Yukon gold potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
2 smaller parsnips (about 12 ounces total)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
6 ounces (about 3/4 cup) crème fraiche, divided or heavy cream and a tsp of white vinegar)
1 cup chicken broth
2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
cayenne to taste
375 F. for 45-60 minutes

18 comments:

VinnyF said...

I give you a virtual high five for the low-carb joke.

blogagog said...

Just a head's up - If you're going to use a mandolin with just your hand, consider buying this glove. That's an Amazon link. You may be able to find a better deal if you search around.

They really work. And you can go so much faster if you don't use that guide that comes with it. And you can do it safely.

Chibby said...

Hey!! I'm not irritable :P I'm also 30 lbs lighter then I was mid October. I'll give it a try with turnips and celery root.I'm sure it will be awesome.

Unknown said...

Chef John,

Another great video! I will be trying this one soon.

How much stock do you add? I dont see it on the ingrediant list.

Unknown said...

I love it, can't wait to try this in weekend. Thanks for sharing it. I am may a personal chef in austin tx but I love your works. Thanks again !!!

Mads Schmidt said...

Parsnips are great! Just try them oven roast with some olive oil, salt and herbs! They go all nutty and good!
Your recipe looks great, too, might try it in the weekend!

Willie Dukeshire said...

hey chef john, this looks like a way I can sneak myself some parsnips....a parsnipslip! that was a good one, missed the badum bum drum effect LOL. I hate them by themselves, but have been fooled by turkey and chicken soups that have hid them...I think you got this one bang on.I will be making this for my wife and fatherinlaw who love parsnips
anyway.God bless from willy in newfoundland canada

Mike said...

Delicious recipe incorporating parsnips (and I'm not pars-tial to them either). I added thinly sliced pasilla peppers for a bit of kick, layered vertically on the 1st layer and horizontally on the 2nd layer. Really added the extra post-cayenne kick we were looking for. Thanks Chef John.

Unknown said...

You're wrong chef... I WAS!

Josh said...

Finally. Something to do with all those parsnips sitting in the crisper!

VeraMvJ said...

Tried it yesterday. So easy, so good !

Travis said...

I don't know why, but I am extremely tempted to add a bit of truffle oil to this recipe...

Unknown said...

I usually roast my parsnips in a little oil some garlic and herbs, lovely!
This recipe was lovely but I couldnt taste the parsnips in it, I suppose thats the point, yes?
Needed to cook it a while longer as my potatoes were still a bit raw after cooking time stated. Im in uk, so I used maris piper, dont know where to get russet.

Unknown said...

Would this dish be able to be prepped ahead or should it be done all fresh?

Unknown said...

Would this dish be able to be made ahead or should it be done fresh?

Hobbes said...

This was delicious!

Tom Malloy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom Malloy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.