Saturday, January 4, 2014

Soup Weather

From what I hear, this could be the coldest winter in decades, and although that plush Snuggie does a decent job of keeping you warm (and fashionable), there's nothing like a steaming bowl of soup when it's freezing outside. Here's a small, but comforting collection of my all-time frigid weather favs.

Of course, it's absolutely gorgeous today in San Francisco, and isn't even winter for half the world, but I always like to tailor these recap posts to the least fortunate (weather-wise) among us. So keep warm, inside and out, and as always, enjoy!


Bumblebee Soup

No actual bees were harmed in the making of this awesome soup. 

Spanish Bread and Garlic Soup

More proof that when it comes to food, the Spanish are winning. 

American French Onion Soup

I forget what makes it "American," but it must be something great. 

Cream of Cauliflower with Bacon Gremolata

Did we mention the bacon gremolata?

Minestrone Soup

First ballot "Winter Soup Hall of Fame" inductee. 

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Might seem a little more spring-ish, but that's the idea. It warms while it reminds. 

7 comments:

Josh said...

I don't mind the cold at all, it makes hearty soups all that much better.

Northernmum said...

Thanks for the soup recipes.
I made your ham and potato soup yesterday, I live in rual Manitoba Canada, and yesterday was -51 today is much warmer -38 with windchill of -41

Northernmum said...

Chef john.
Since discovering your blog I've become slightly obsessed.
Every day now I make one of your recipes for supper.

I live in rural Manitoba canada yesterday the temp outside was -51 today is much nicer at -38 with windchill of -46.
I made your ham and potato soup, absolutely delicious!

Thank you, pls don't ever stop blogging

FSB said...

"it's absolutely gorgeous today in San Francisco" ?... as I remember my tenure in S.F., EVERY day was gorgeous. Even Earthquake Day, 1989.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chef John! I would just like to thank you for the mouthwatering recipes that I torture myself with at 2 A.M. after checking an empty refrigerator, haha. The video for Spanish Bread and Garlic Soup had me drooling. However, I don't have any chicken stock on hand. Could water be used instead? I could cover up the lack of flavor from the broth by adding in more seasoning, right?

Vincent said...

Cold winter? It's January and it's 11C/52F outside. What are you, American?

Chef John said...

Water will and has worked! ;) Enjoy!