Friday, September 19, 2014

Remoulade Sauce 2.0

I believe there’s a very old remoulade video floating around the channel somewhere, but after making some to go with our salmon cakes, I figured it was high time to share an updated version. Better known as tartar sauce, this easy and adaptable condiment isn't just for fish sticks anymore.

As I mentioned in the video, it was originally invented to go alongside meat, so it comes as no surprise that it’s excellent on everything from grilled pork chops to double cheeseburgers. And when it comes to sandwiches, as long as you have some of this sitting around (should last at least a week), no mayo should touch your turkey on whole wheat. 

Regarding the dried tarragon reduction at the beginning; this is an old-school step that many people will skip, but if you can find dried tarragon, I really think you should give this method to try, as the flavor is quite different than if fresh is used. With condiments like this, every single ingredient is “to taste,” so be sure to adjust according to yours, especially when it comes to the pickle combination.

If you’re going to serve with something on the spicy/tangy/savory side, you may want to include some bread-and-butter pickles for sweetness. On the other hand, if you're doing something like fried scallops, which have a naturally sweet flavor, you may want to go with just dill pickles to balance the flavor. Either way, I hope you give this remoulade sauce a try soon. Enjoy!



Ingredients for about 1 1/2 cup of remoulade sauce: 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoon anchovy paste
1/4 cup finely diced dill pickles
1/4 cup finely diced bread & butter pickles
1 tablespoon chopped capers
1 tablespoon minced green onions
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
salt to taste

12 comments:

Mike said...

Again, I thank you for your great recipes Chef John! I will be making this momentarily for tomorrow's fresh Salmon Cakes (with habanero from my garden)! I have everything except anchovy paste and scallions, so I'm substituting them with whole anchovy smooshed (technical term?) in my mortar and pestle, and shallots. Hopefully it turns out just as great!

Darren said...

What about sauce gribiche? Isn't that the orginal tartar sauce?

Unknown said...

Looks great, but I usually make tartar sauce with lemon juice. Would that be be a good addition to this recipe?

dz.m.ziv said...

hi chef! Would this work with lemon instead of vinegar? Or any other substitute for vinegar?

Ben said...

Great version! You're missing the cayenne from the ingredients list.

Gretchen said...

Speaking as a native New Orleanian, totally different animals, tartar sauce and remoulade sauce.

Nix4u said...

Not that tartar sauce came from New Orleans, right? Because that's a French sauce...

Grant said...

Chef John, thanks for all you do.
I thought I would share my Sweet Onion Dill Remoulade with you.
I've been making this since the early 80's. I created it.
----------
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon white sugar ( dissolve sugar in warm vinegar )
1/2 cup of minced vidalia or sweet onion
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill weed or 1 tablespoon dried dill weed, more or less to taste.
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Optional::: 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika or 1/4 + teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly fine ground black pepper
Salt to taste.
Best if made a day ahead of serving.

John said...

Chef John
We are new subscribers and are enjoying your videos very much. We are going to try the salmon cakes and remoulade today. We already did the paella which came out great!
John and Charlotte Bernard

Unknown said...

Made fish & chips tonight but made the remoulade sauce the night before using your recipe. The only thing I did different was use chopped Gherkins (per Gordon Ramsay) instead of pickles. Hands down, the best tartar sauce I have ever had in my life. I was shocked to find capers next to the Gherkins in our small town grocery store here in Ohio. You nailed this one sir!

Rich from new jersey said...

Been watching your videos for some time now. These fish cakes are the best I've made. Added some fish sauce sesame oil. You are the best

Rich from new jersey said...

Been watching your videos for some time now. Love your recipes these fish cakes were the best I've ever made. Added a touch of fish sauce and sesame oil.