Thursday, March 21, 2013

Bourbon-Glazed Carrots – An Easter Side Dish that Really Shines

Before all you cardiologists out there start a petition drive to have my channel removed from YouTube, let me add the following disclaimer: These butter-soaked, bourbon-glazed carrots should be enjoyed no more than twice a year. 

Okay, now that we got that out of the way, I can go ahead and tell you that this is, in my humble opinion, the greatest, special-occasion carrot side dish of all time. Sweet, savory, and oh so glossy.

And yes, as unreasonable as it sounds, you do need bourbon to make bourbon-glazed carrots. What happens if you just make this recipe and use water instead of the whiskey? You get glazed carrots. Close, but no cigar. By the way, in related news, bourbon also pairs very well with cigars. Anyway, if you’re looking for a stellar, and very shiny vegetable side dish for your Easter celebration, I hope you give these bourbon-glazed carrots a try. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 6-8 Portions:
1 stick (4-oz) butter
2 or 3 pounds carrots, peeled, cut into equal-sized pieces
1/2 to 1 tsp fine salt, or to taste
1/2 cup bourbon or any kind of whiskey
1/3 cup brown sugar
freshly ground black pepper and cayenne to taste
fresh thyme leaves to garnish, optional

View the complete recipe

18 comments:

Johan Lindén said...

Hahahahaha! What a wonderful blog and chef! Like a boss!

I will start following this blog for sure!

Billy Ray said...

MEAT, MEAT, for everything holy, give us MEAT man!

Chris K. said...

Ermagerd! Berben serp!

Unknown said...

That made me drool!
Looks so yummy! My best and yummy easter wishes to you Boss Chef!

Estoy_Listo said...

Couldn't I just drink the bourbon and steam the carrots?

cookinmom said...

The old shake-a-shake-a is makin' me dizzy!!! ;0)

Laura said...

Does booze quality matter?
I have some good stuff, but I'm not sure if I want to waste it on my family if they aren't going to taste the difference.

Chef John said...

use the cheap stuff!

jeepers said...

Chef John!

What's the rule for increasing the portion size? I'm looking at making this dish for about 10 - 12 people.

Thanks!

Miss Rachel said...

Really enjoyed this video and plan on trying to make this right now. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi Chef. I noticed you used a stainless steel pan in this video, and I used a non-stick. I had trouble getting the carrots to carmelize. Can a non-stick pan cause this problem? Thanks. (They still tasted great.)

Chef John said...

Pan shouldn't matter here!

Johan Lindén said...

Most non-sticks pan ain't made for high temperature. Check it out. So that might be an issue.

Steve said...

These turned out so delicious! I used my non-stick pan with no problems. I have a large stainless pan on my wishlist. I don't know if I can wait a whole year before making these again!!!

Unknown said...

Chef John, what can I substitute for the bourbon. Our family doesn't drink, so I don't want to buy a whole bottle of bourbon just for this recipe. Let me know when you get the chance. Love you recipes by the way, I learned how to cook from you.

Unknown said...

I don't know why, but I always get this huge smile on my face when I hear your voice, Chef. You make cooking look fun.

Unknown said...

Big fan here Chef. 1 Question: Will these carrot reheat well or will the brown sugar/butter separate? Thanks for all your videos.

Becky512 said...

Have made these several times and they are ALWAYS a HUGE hit. We have them for holidays and non-holidays. They are a must have for Christmas dinners now. I think this is probably our favorite vegetable dish of all time. Thanks Chef John for another spectacular recipe!